View Poll Results: Rider position what's best?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Recumbent

1 20.00%
  • Semi-recumbent

1 20.00%
  • Upright - racing position

0 0%
  • Upright - straight back

3 60.00%

Thread: Designing A New Pedicab

davidanz Guest

Default Designing A New Pedicab

Hi all

I'm an italian industrial designer student who’s doing his final master project designing a new
    concept for a non motorised means of transport.

I’ m feeling a strong need of sustainability and trying to put it into my
    projects. This work is a bit political, going against the trend to motorization
    that car manufactures and oil businesses are supporting in the developing
    countries.

I would like to write down here some questions trying to have a feedback from the user’s point of view.

Focus points of the project are below, followed by some questions I would ask the reader of this:

1 - optimization of dimensions (looking at transforming citycars, something that could be smaller when the rider is alone, and gets longer or larger to host passengers).
    a_Do any pedicab rider ever felt this need? Is it bad to ride a huge vehicle when you’re alone?
    b_Do you think telescopic structure, adjustable to the number of passengers, -maybe with hidden seats like inside Land Rover hatch- could be useful?
    c_Or would it be better to mantain a simple and compact but FIXED light structure?

2 – passengers’ access ease
    a_i saw bikesatwork pedicabs, and I think, eventhough they re not that attractive design-focused, the way passengers seat in front and the low access in a really good feature. This package (rider back, passengers in the front) took inspiration from the Cyclo used in Hanoi and the Malaysia’s Trishaws. They offer the an easy access to the seats and the possibility fro the rider to have some control on his passengers.
    b_Do you think it’s better the rider front-passenger back package or the inverted one?

2 - manouvrability (reduction of turning radius)

3 - different perception of riding (inspiration from tilting vehicles) I read in this forum that you guys show in some way the need to have a sporty riding perception.
    a_how important is it for you to have a sporty riding perception, apart from the ergonomic and comfort needs (of course included)?

4 - need of high customizability not only by the owner (advertising surface) but by the rider too (rickshaws in bangladesh or indonesia are so customized! saddle decoration, horns, sound speakers and artworks)

5 - mantain the ability to adapt the vehicle to different purposes (taxi, delivery, adv)
    a_how important is that? Or should I optimize the vehicle for the passengers a taxi service use?

6 – semi-recumbent riding position, a bit higher seat position, permitting to stand up and pull the cranks using your weight. (See the MITKA picture) but still with the possibility to relax your back.
    I would also like to mantain the wheels distribution (2 in front - 1 rear)

7 – lightness
    a_ how good (or bad) do you consider the use of flexible fabric materials for the whole vehicle, covering a protection bone structure, in order to optimize the weight of the vehicle? They could also be used to print advertising on it.
    b_ Would a fiber glass (or rotational PE, PPI) structured cabin be better?

8 – Do you ever suggest the use of hubless wheels? There have been good design examples in Japan of this new wheel technology applied on pedals. Since my work will be more a concept than a project for a real product into market, I would like to shoot high in the air.
    a_what to you think about that?

9 – Transmission
    a_would you recommend driveshaft or normal chain trasmission? Is driveshaft softer, more reliable/efficient and more confortable like the manufactures of these product say? What about gears?

10 – Technology – dynamic brake
    a_would you apply this technology to a pedicab in order to use the energy coming from breaks use?

I really want to thank Friedel and Andrew for the help they already gave me, hoping to receive some other feedback from them.

Hope to read from you soon.

Thanx

Davide

below the attachments: Bikesatwork pedicab, Mitka Concept, Zero Hubless Bike by Makoto Mikita, Peugeot Moovie Concept, Toyota RLV concept
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking Keep it simple

That's a whole bunch of Questions, some of which have already got answers in the forum (just do a search). If possible break stuff up (if not already discussed), so it's possible to keep every readers attention also remember 'We don't earn when you learn'.

Question 1 - optimization of dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by davidanz View Post
    1 - optimization of dimensions (looking at transforming citycars, something that could be smaller when the rider is alone, and gets longer or larger to host passengers).
    a_Do any pedicab rider ever felt this need? Is it bad to ride a huge vehicle when you’re alone?
    b_Do you think telescopic structure, adjustable to the number of passengers, -maybe with hidden seats like inside Land Rover hatch- could be useful?
    c_Or would it be better to mantain a simple and compact but FIXED light structure?
    Keep it simple, some poor darlings going to fix this
    So - C
    Last edited by tdayuk; 31-01-2007 at 14:34. Reason: addition

Post 2 – passengers’ access ease

b_Do you think it’s better the rider front-passenger back package or the inverted one?

davidanz Guest

thanx Friedel,
    i know its a really bunch of questions...i didn t know how to skip them in order not to make a so booooring threat.

'We don't earn when you learn' yeah I know, but its a "user centered" design process. i m not looking for some special secrets asking people who design these kind of vehicles. i just wanted to ask the users some questions.
    Plus, i will earn no money too!

i ve gone a bit forward on my project, i think the position will be:

passengers on the front (access from the front) and rider behind them, on a bit higher seat, upright straight back position, three wheels (2 in the front - 1 rear).

i saw there s a poll that has been posted. thats cool!
    could anybody explain me how to do it?

thank u guys,

ciao dalla bella italia

Thumbs down Front loaders not so OK

Quote Originally Posted by tdayuk View Post
    Front loaders not so OK, if you have to stop, if all you braking power is on the front two wheels, Interesting stuff happens, like .......they kiss the floor & you kiss the back of there rather squashed heads

You gona say trailer next?

If you use the 'search' option quite a few battles have been had over trike set up.

Cool A few Q for you

1 - optimization of dimensions
    What ever happens will it be lighter or have less wind resistance?

2 – passengers’ access ease
    Which seating location is most stable & gives best handling & offeres most protection to passengers & the best view of danger to the rider?

2 - manouvrability (reduction of turning radius)
    What is the tightest turn a pedicab can make, how & why?

3 - different perception of riding (inspiration from tilting vehicles)
    What position offers the best chance of catching a ride?

4 - need of high customizability
    How do rider owners do it, what do fleet owners think & what does an Ad company want?

5 - mantain the ability to adapt the vehicle to different purposes What makes a vehicle adaptable & how does it change the pedicabs structure?

6 – semi-recumbent riding position,
    What terrain will the pedicab work in?

7 – lightness
    How to move any pedicab extra weight & how much weight do you need to make a pedicab safe for use?

8 – Do you ever suggest the use of hubless wheels?
    If your looking into the future, then why not 'fligh high', carbon fiber is already being used in pedicabs, carbon with nano fibers is in existance, so what els may soon exist? Look at HPVs (81mph).

9 – Transmission
    Who will & how will they need to fix it when it breakes, does it add weight? How much will it cost & is it worth the extra cash or hassle?

10 – Technology – dynamic brake
    Have you heard of 'kenetic energy recovery systems'? Ok, will it add weight, cost or complications?

(I was on a course for trainers & I was told to teach through asking questions , so I think some of this might help)

Default tdayuk

have you thought of the use of train driveshaft?I am thinking that is simple

Default davidanz

passengers in front is not a good position.This will make the rider sit on a higher position.the wind resistance will be bigger.The lower the better.to use the drivershaft like a trains will shorten the hight.because the rider can press the pad in a horizontal way

Question Beach to fix

Quote Originally Posted by lichen View Post
    have you thought of the use of train driveshaft?I am thinking that is simple
    The only train drive I got to play with looked cool if you never need to fix it but for a fleet me thinks thats going to be a 'take out & throw away part'.

Thread Information