Thread: Pedicabs rolling in Raleigh, NC

Thumbs up Pedicabs rolling in Raleigh, NC

Park And Bike Comes To Downtown Raleigh

Watch the video and see them in action! It's much better than just reading the story.

April 27, 2007, RALEIGH, N.C. -- If the thought of hassling with parking in downtown Raleigh keeps you away, there's a new concept designed to lure you in.

They're called rickshaws and they don't even use a drop of gas.

They drive down Fayetteville Street in a fleet, ready to avoid traffic tie ups or parking hassles.

These pedal power people are getting attention.

The idea is for people to find parking spaces and then bike into where ever they need to go without tickets and headaches.

Meet Raleigh's Rickshaw. [Raleigh Rickshaw Co.]

The bike riders can take you two blocks, or perhaps two miles.

NBC17 gave it a test whirl and talked with the company's co-owner.

The owners said they have been wanting to do something like this for awhile. They said it's environmentally friendly, fun and serves downtown Raleigh.

The rickshaws come complete with tail lights and a headlight and they're totally street legal.

Loren Gold and his friend took a noon ride down Fayetteville Street. "Roomy back seats, good springs on them as well," Gold said.

It sure beats walking, or worrying about getting to your car alone at night, riders said.

"I think they'll do great on Friday and Saturday nights, between the warehouse and Glenwood and Fayetteville Street," Gold said.

Heck, if gas prices keep rising, perhaps we may need these guys to drive us to news stories.

Drivers will accept tips for now and eventually charge per block traveled.

The service hopes to eventually expand to weekdays to take people from parking garages to work downtown.

This is our most recent success story - their 5 brand new pedicabs arrived only 3 hours before they boarded the plane for our Pedicab Operators Weekend Intensive in April. They were out on the street and in the news the following weekend. Congratulations!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
    BigTreePedicab.com
    PedicabBlog.com
    ColoradoRickshaw.com
    SmartAdsMedia.com

Great news! NYC may have fallen to the smog-taxi lobby, but the industry continues to grow across America. And the foolishness about banning electric assist will soon be overturned in court.

As in other places, a few stupidly aggressive cabbers jammed things up for local businesses - there, it was theater-owners, who retaliated (with help from the taxi lobby.)

I'd bet that the NYC cap on pedicabs will fail, too. There are almost 12,000 motor-taxis in that town; how can even a thousand pedicabs threaten them?

Perhaps someone will suggest capping taxicabs and banning their smog-assist!
    Breathe free,

HEW
    Earth Shuttle Pedalcab
    Orlando, Florida
    www.pedalcab.us

Cool the competion change

Well, the NY taxi boy's are starting to give a notice to cleaning up by the introduction of BioFuel - not yet food & a driver but time will move the transportation closer to complete empowerment of individuals & the ecospace we live in!

I wish the NY pedicabs all the best in the fight & we'll press them here in London for a better result - which looks to be swinging round the corner.

A few companties could now survive the 'licence' & this is a start, so lets hope we manage to keep a foot hold as the guys in NY did. All the best to pedicabing round the world!

Default Orlando Ordinance Next

The City of Orlando, where I primarily operate my pedalcab, continues to delay its adoption of a pedicab ordinance. The proposed language has been available for six months now (re-edited) and rumors are flying as to reasons for the halt in its consideration.

NYC will probably be sued by the NYCPOA, and various alternative-fueled (but still internal-combustion) taxis are in the works. Perhaps that, and not the agendas of some local fleet owners, is why we have no schedule for implementation.

I look forward to some discipline among bike-cabbers downtown. If we cannot organize ourselves, then I'll welcome reasonable requirements from the City.
    Breathe free,

HEW
    Earth Shuttle Pedalcab
    Orlando, Florida
    www.pedalcab.us

Thread Information