Thread: UK: Newbie startup questions

FlangePiece Guest

Default UK: Newbie startup questions

Hi, I have just discovered this site and would be grateful for any advise people can give me.

I am thinking of starting a pedicab service for event hire and also to take people along an off road route through the locals parks and town quay in Poole, Dorset. This would be on a dual use pedestrain/cycle route. Do people think my local council are likely to allow this?

I am now intending to initially take any fee paying passengers whilst on public highways (just on the cycle ways) so I am wandering if that will mean I woudn't need to apply for a hackney licence.

I have already phoned my council, it would appear they have never dealt with any applications for rickshaws. So I want to avoid any complicated red tape if possible and am hoping I can refer them to a council who is already allowing such businesses.

I have been reading with interest the posts by Phil Saltmarsh. Any other experiences with similar businesses would be gratefully received.

Dave

Thumbs up

Hi Dave,

Realistically, only your local council can give a definitive answer to this question.

My personal view is that as you are planning to only use cycleways they should be able to come up with a fairly simple permit to allow you to operate. The trouble is that each council is fairly autonomous and interprets their guidelines differently.

What I did when starting up was to write my proposal down, then set up a meeting with the tourism officer to explain the idea and ask whether the council would support it. After a positive talk this then led to meetings with the licensing officer and the head of the parks department which eventually allowed me to get started with a straight-forward and cheap agreement.

If you go along similar lines, think carefully about the detail you want to include in your proposal (one of the copies I left with my council unexpectedly ended up in the public domain).

It helps to emphasise safety because although this is overall a safe industry, people in authority tend to feel suspicious about it.

Including a few photos of the type of rickshaw you intend to use also seems to help because, as you've discovered, most councils haven't come across them before.

I hope this is of use and wish you good luck with it.

Phil

FlangePiece Guest

Cool

Thanks Phil,

I will follow your advise and contact the council. Up to now I have just been deliberating and haven't made any effort to find out if the venture is possible. When I contacted them before (probably about 2 years ago now) I just tried the transportation services department and they said I would have to submit a business case. I think your suggestion of contacting tourism first might be more sensible.

I am hoping if I start things rolling now I might have something ready by next summer, which has got to be better than this one!

Regards, Dave

Thread Information