Thread: A comparison of pedicab and trailers. Need Input

Default A comparison of pedicab and trailers. Need Input

Okay I have 1 whopping rickshaw going right now in my little business basically cause im broke and can't afford insurance on the other i have. Anyway i keep running into problems. I bought a dirt cheap bike which i expected some problmes due to chaply made parts. but after alot of mods including extending the frame and replacing nearly everything that moves except the rims and bearings i keep having my chain snap. This is a single speed. Before i get ridiculed for that let me note its only like a couple block ride from A to B with no hills. and only 2 people can fit in the cab. so its pretty specilized. I do have competitors that have trailers. Their trailers seem to be fairly cheaply made but they seem to have a much easier time to get going and i never see them have a problem with there rides. And just in case they read these they are pretty niec guys all and all and their trailers work falwlessly as far as I can tell. I was wondering if the length of the chain makes a large difference in effort needed by any chance. Not really sure why but i thought I read somewhere it mattered. Long story short i paid very little for my bikes and im not disappointed exactly however I am curious as to the difference in perofrmance and upkeep. from all aspects. I am very tempting to hack off the front part of the bike and hook a mountain bike up to the cab if that will make things easier for me and my employees.
    Last edited by jhart82; 05-08-2007 at 19:24.

Default Dirt cheap pedicab Vs dirt cheap trailer......

Sounds like you are looking to make money from a very ecconomical start & sounds like you went $200 china import......

The only things to remember are that if you buy cheap tools, then you will get a cheap result but make sure you don't put yourself at risk of a law suit by saving on the wrong thing like safty.

All the best

Default Well pretty much

Yeah it was cheap i knew there would be some problems. I finally got a chacne to ride the competitions bike yesterday and lifted there set-up to compare the 2. I also matched my leg speed with his to see if gears were the same. After alot fo mods gears are identical if not off by a tooth. His is amazingly lighter though. Im guessing 100 to 150 pounds less. Everything on mine is steel after tools and a couple add on im guessing im at about 250 pounds for just the set-up. I didnt check to see how it felt with adding a person on his setup and see if it was close to identical however. If i were to guess though both empty mine is probally 30% more difficult to peddle around. This may not sound like much I dont know dont really have much to compare to. But I definately would be suffering if i was riding for any decent amount of time.

So it come down to this if i somehow matched the other guys rides weight with mine do you think there would be much difference in effort needed?

Or do you think its more the moving componenents such as my crank spindle thingy that woudl be greatly helpful if replaced?

I was also curious as to build my own set-up and was curious about wheel size. Such as their set up has a basic moutnin bike wih the trailer having very small wheels proabally like a foot high. Does that make it easier or does ti not matter whatsoever? Thanks again

Post Try before you buy

Things that can make a difference on acheap & a more expensive pedicab.

1. Large wheels make for a smoother ride - small wheels can be stronger & give greater stabilety.

2. Long chain is like a long rope, it's extra weight can increase the already high stress on a chain under tension. So a short chain also has less 'stretch' & fewer links which could break.

3. Try different types of pedicabs & different trailers befor you make your next buy, as each style has an advantage & a draw back (which you should match to your need & state regulations.)

4. Trailers are cheap but also have points of safety you need to consider and looks, compaired to a well designed pedicab which offere a more professional look for your business.

5. WHAT YOU PAY FOR IS WHAT YOU GET!

So a cheap pedicab may not have all the research to ensure that the frame is strong, that the wheels face in the right way & may not have all the qualety components that ensure friction less running.
    Last edited by tdayuk; 25-10-2007 at 00:20. Reason: correction

pedimaker Guest

hi
    just wondring why people use samller freewheel in the gear hub to dirve the rear axle and the free wheel in the rear axle is bigger, ist it better smaller or bigger

thanks

PedalPowerBikeTaxi Guest

Give me a shout....we make the best around....hands down....

Pics and prices on the website. www.pedalpowerbiketaxi.com

Thread Information