Thread: Newly joined from China

Default Newly joined from China

Hi All I'm looking at producing an upgraded version of the standard Chinese cargo trike. They cost 630RMB brand new (about 63 euros at current exchange rates) so I think I can do quite a lot in the way of improvements but still keep them reasonably priced. From those who know, what would be your advice as to what is a priority?
    Currently have no front wheel brake, only right rear wheel driven and braked, no lights, single gear.But the longwheelbase version can be loaded up with nearly a tonne of cargo!!!! Each rear wheel is given for 500KG working load.
    Keep the suggestions flowing Chris in Shanghai

rickshaw92 Guest

Currently have no front wheel brake, only right rear wheel driven and braked, no lights, single gear.

Sounds like a lot of the rickshaws in London.

Default LondonRickshaws

I thought London Rickshaws are all super luxury jobs like Cycles Maximus, with sophisticated gear systems, hydraulic brakes, the works! I haven't been to London for a very long time though!

rickshaw92 Guest

Indeed there are a lot of propper rickshaws on the streets of London but there is also a lot of garbage rickshaws. If the proposed licensing came into effect on Monday a sizeable number of London rickshaws would not be licensed. We have a lot of Maximus but many are old and dont appear to have been properly maintained much less washed form time to time, there is also Mainstreets and Velocabs. There is also a lot of crudely throwen togeather rickshaws.

Default LondonPedicabs

very interesting what u say. As I am looking to specify the ideal vehicle to make here in China - wonder what the forthcoming licensinging laws will require in terms of safety:technical vehicle specs? Also what drivers/riders themselves may wish to have. I have cumulated quite long experience now using non-chain drive systems on bikes with fantastic results in terms of maintenance free life. I plan to apply this to all my pedal vehicles, but primarily for cargo vehicles main application in China. For pedicabs, especially in the west, there is of course much more to consider.

Do not forget pedal assist. Some may consider it cheating but the bottomline is making money and pedal assist keeps you out there longer and you can carry more people so more money! Chain driven is better than wheel driven.

Default Pedal assist? Wheel driven?

Thanks for the input, I presume you are a pedicab rider? I have nothing against pedal assist, except that adds a lot of cost to the vehicle and usually the electrical power to recharge is generated by burning fossil fuel, so in the end no better than using a motor vehicle.
    I don't know what you mean by "wheel driven", but the transmission system I will use, I have thoroughly proven on my daily bike, which does about 1000KM/month. I was going through chains about every 3000 KM have yet to maintain my new system! So I don't know the comparative duration, but the wear is virtually zero.

Default pedal assist

Heinzmann PowerHub is cycle Maximus front wheel drive. The one I own is Chain Driven Velocab. It does make the bike more expensive but for those who have done both will not want to go back to doing it yourself. I know I do not. As far as adding to the cost if you can not afford it then do not get it. No one makes pedal assist a standard feature yet . The amount of fossil fuel used to recharge my batteries is so small to be in the same breath as a "motor vehicle" is insane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rickshaw92 Guest

Ha ha ha ha

Problem is there are over 1million electric scooters in Shanghai alone, so recharging is not an issue to be ignored when the scale of use reaches that sort of level.

Thread Information