Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Las Vegas - Who to buy from?

That is a nice neutral statement Tdayuk. From reading many of your posts I can tell that you have been in this business for quite a bit. I think you have worked with both the Velocabs and Cycle Maximus. If you were starting a firm of say 5 Pedicabs what would be your starting lineup. eg. 3 velocabs 1 cycle maximus and 1 Maxpro G-6. Give the guy what you would do if you were him with no budget concerns.

Default Interesting Question

Not even sure I could say if money was no option.

I guess the question would be what is your goal in operating a pedicabs.

Would it be just be a drivers business or a operation for the marketing income? (It has to be both)

I'm sure for me its best idea to have one type of cab and only having to stock one type of spare parts. I.E Wheels, forks, brake parts, cables.

The easier the spares are to get the more the cabs are on the road and its easier to fill your marketing contracts. The more good cabs you have that are on the streets, the more you can market your product and better the income is.

This is about making money, right?

I always say its not so much about the cabs unles you are working on them all the time.

It's about happy drivers taking the cabs out!!

Lot's of people have never had the chance to ride the different cabs and really compare them.

Maybe someone who has different cabs in their fleet can say which cabs go out first, what the drivers like and which ones do the drivers complain about?

The drivers always have something to say!

Funny thing is the better the cabs are maintained, the more the drivers notice the little things and its easier to keep up with the small stuff.
    Last edited by Greg; 15-03-2008 at 14:36. Reason: spelling

Wink Straw Men and Their Adversaries

Sorry you've got an axe to grind, lad.

Careful reading of my initial post will reveal that you've created a straw man and knocked him down—quite dramatically, I might add.

I'm certain that every owner of a Main Street pedicab nationwide cares meticulously for his pedicabs, unlike the lad in Denver (whom I know quite well) of whom you write. I suggest contacting the other Maximus operator in Denver, as well as Maximus operators nationwide for feedback.

I'll sit and have a race with you any day of the week to see who changes a flat faster—as if Maximi ever get flats: Maximi operate on a moped platform, so flats are almost unheard of, even in NYC.

As for inventory, any operator worth his salt keeps a couple of spares around the shop—or in the pedicab—to take care of business. Good luck finding a bike shop open at midnight when that flat hits.

How much of a Main Street do you reckon is "Made in America", let alone a Ford?

Aspiring operators have a choice to make. May they make it wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by buddydeath View Post
    I like how Austin has ONE Cycle Maximus and you make it sound like there is a whole fleet, In Denver isn't there only 3? And they Squeak and squeal. How many are in Phoenix? 1? Neew york has like 20-30? and How what like 300 Mainstreets? Also good luck with the hour to change a flat tire and goodluck with finding replacement parts unless of course you buy everything from this guy.
    Go talk to owners of Cycles Maximus and ask them about finding Tires and tubes for their bikes and how much they cost and how hard they are to change.
    Mainstreet is proven all over and they look better for marketing. I own a whole fleet of Mainstreets and just ride my bicycle to a Bicycle Distribution Center and get everything I need. Plus I can Fix a flat in under 2 minutes and a tube costs me $4 and a new tire costs me $5.
    BMW! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
    When a BMW breaks down, and they do, how much does it cost to fix them? Get a better marketing plan.
    I want the Ford F150 of pedicabs! Mainstreets can run circles around these foreign contraptions. Mainstreets cost less and maintence wise cost way less to maintain. Buy American.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRevolution View Post
    Sorry you've got an axe to grind, lad.

Careful reading of my initial post will reveal that you've created a straw man and knocked him down—quite dramatically, I might add.

I'm certain that every owner of a Main Street pedicab nationwide cares meticulously for his pedicabs, unlike the lad in Denver (whom I know quite well) of whom you write. I suggest contacting the other Maximus operator in Denver, as well as Maximus operators nationwide for feedback.

I'll sit and have a race with you any day of the week to see who changes a flat faster—as if Maximi ever get flats: Maximi operate on a moped platform, so flats are almost unheard of, even in NYC.

As for inventory, any operator worth his salt keeps a couple of spares around the shop—or in the pedicab—to take care of business. Good luck finding a bike shop open at midnight when that flat hits.

How much of a Main Street do you reckon is "Made in America", let alone a Ford?

Aspiring operators have a choice to make. May they make it wisely.
    How much does a Cycle Maximus weigh? Good luck pedaling that tank with little wheels and specialized parts that only CM sales.
    PS I'll put up $25,000 to that I can change a flat on my Mainstreets faster than you on your Maximus. Your bikes are soooo BADASS you should have never changed a flat.
    I'll also say that I can open up a catalog and order about 90% of all my parts from a wholesale bicycle store such as J&B importers. Hell I even have a local importer here where I ride my bicycle to to get parts. Keeps my operating costs very low.
    Seeing that all bicycle parts are made overseas I'll tell you that the frame and cab and all the speacilzed parts like the transfer hub and rear 48 spoke hubs are made in America. So about 75% to 85% of it is made here plus all the assembly.
    My tubes cost $5 for 26 inch thorn resistant How much for a scooter tube for a Cycle Maximus?
    I just love how you shamelessly try to promote your crap buy an add from Trixi. I'm buying more pedicabs this year again and they will be Mainstreets.

Default Choosing Wisely

Congratulations on making an unbiased decision for your business, sir. You've run the numbers for a five or ten year period and seen that, for your situation, your money is best invested in a certain manner.

In New York, changing ten tubes a year at $5/tube yields $50/yr in costs for business one; changing two tubes at $9/tube yields a cost of $18/yr. Replacing spokes and wheels regularly may incur costs for business one that add up at a rapid case, while business two replaces more expensive spokes and wheels at a much lower clip, incurring lower overall costs.

I assume in your market, for example, that you don't get flats. Wonderful! Others are not so lucky.

The educated pedicab operator is our best customer. May he choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by buddydeath View Post
    How much does a Cycle Maximus weigh? Good luck pedaling that tank with little wheels and specialized parts that only CM sales.
    PS I'll put up $25,000 to that I can change a flat on my Mainstreets faster than you on your Maximus. Your bikes are soooo BADASS you should have never changed a flat.
    I'll also say that I can open up a catalog and order about 90% of all my parts from a wholesale bicycle store such as J&B importers. Hell I even have a local importer here where I ride my bicycle to to get parts. Keeps my operating costs very low.
    Seeing that all bicycle parts are made overseas I'll tell you that the frame and cab and all the speacilzed parts like the transfer hub and rear 48 spoke hubs are made in America. So about 75% to 85% of it is made here plus all the assembly.
    My tubes cost $5 for 26 inch thorn resistant How much for a scooter tube for a Cycle Maximus?
    I just love how you shamelessly try to promote your crap buy an add from Trixi. I'm buying more pedicabs this year again and they will be Mainstreets.

Wink

I see strong discussion here beteen Buddydeath and mr Zukowski.

I tell you guys that your row has no sense. Both of these manufacturers are good. In my opinion Main Street is slightly cheesy, with no finished detail but it's cheaper. C max is finsihed is every detail and looks better, both machines are more reliable so what to row about.

Personally i would choose Cycles Maximus from the Main Street, I would never pay that money for CM as I think it's too much and you can get something better for less money but it would not be the Main Street that I'm talking about .

mackinawpedi Guest

Smile I saved money by talking to the right people!

Steve,Ruth, and Ed - all from mainstreet have done an excellent job at making sure my purchase of two new red broadways was going to be the best option for me. At the same time I was ordering a new broadway and looking at a used broadway in Ashlund,Oregon to save money.I found that it would be less exspensive to purchase two new broadways than to buy the used one which I may remind everyone was a beautiful forest green broadway with tan upholstery and canopy(anyone remember this cab?).It would have cost me over $1000.00 to ship that one cab from oregon to Northern Michigan to where I am. Sometimes depending on the need for pedicabs in certain regions of the country,pedicabs actually increase in value .I found this out in a more time consuming way but at the same time I was relived to have made the right choice.Only communicating with the right people at Mainstreet was I able to make the right choices, so it does make sense to talk to as many people as possible before making any decisions. Not only that but Mainstreet has special shipping agreements with fed-ex which ultimatly saves you $$$. For instance the two broadways I purchased cost $590.00 to ship from Broomfield, Co. to Grand Rapids, Mi. and that was a good savings! A big smile and a handshake goes to Steve and the whole crew at Mainstreet Pedicabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mackinawpedi; 09-05-2008 at 03:26.

Thread Information