View Poll Results: Are regulations in cities good or bad

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • No regulations and things will sort out?

1 11.11%
  • The city will determine what works?

0 0%
  • Just a licence not requirements or restrictions?

1 11.11%
  • Licences for every driver and operator with requirements?

6 66.67%
  • Lots of regulations to keep pedicabs highly restricted?

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedicab and Rickshaw Regulations

Default Pedicab and Rickshaw Regulations

Recently there has been a lot of conversation about new regulations in many different cities in the pedicabbin world such as San Diego, New York and London. Some cities like Vegas, New Orleans and Honolulu have enacted ordinances that are so restricting there are no pedicabs. Right now there seems to be more municipalities who are developing or have created new regulations to control pedicabs in their village, town or city. We are trying to take a look at what is out there and what works and what does not.

Example: Vegas restriction as follows

11.39.030 Restricted area--Designated.
    It is unlawful for any person, unless exempted, to operate, drive or propel an animal-drawn vehicle, pedicab or rickshaw on public streets in that area of the City bounded by Main Street on the west, Stewart Avenue on the north, Seventh Street on the east, and Bridger Avenue on the south. The area described by this Section shall include those portions of Main Street, Stewart Avenue, Seventh Street and Bridger Avenue that make up the boundaries of the area.
    (Ord. 3317 §§ 1 (part), 7, 1987)

I am asking for help in getting these regulations together (even the over restrictive ones) to create a source of ideas that will work. There is no one formula that will work for every city, but there needs to be some starting point. I have already quite a few that have been passed or are ready to be voted on by some city councils.

So if you have a link, an electronic example, draft or actual ordinances please post it here or send it to me even if it’s just a link. I will write a post of what I have found.
    Last edited by Greg; 21-02-2008 at 06:55.

Please vote and express your opinion. Comment on your experience with this subject.
    What is your city doing?

Got a few sent by people but lots more to learn about.

Sounds like from the people I have talked to, "it's enforcement that works" any thoughts?
    Last edited by Greg; 21-02-2008 at 16:04.

I was stopped by the police saturday feb 16th 2008 and was asked if I had a license to operate a pedicab in my town. I did not and was asked to go home. This after operating since October without any questions by the authorities. He informed me that the local taxi cab drivers had lodge a complaints and one of them work in city hall. One of my paying customers in the cab at the time told me that if I change my business model to NOT FOR HIRE I could continue because it was not against the law to give away your service. Just like it was not against the law for the passanger give you some money after the ride because they felt like it. I explained my new business model and when approached by the cops I told them what was the new plan and they ask the customers in the cab and they did confirm and was not harrassed again. Turns out that my local government has no policy on pedicabs at all. So the police had no right to stop me in the first place. Go Figure. Home of the Roskilde Festival

Default Very interesting thread....

Very interesting thread....Regulation should be developed hand in hand between local government and operators (hearing / round table).

Regulation is ok if the intention is not to make operators life impossible, but:

- Protecting clients
    - Control of minimum legal requirements
    - Protecting drivers also

I think that a certain "regulation" is always good or could make sense - even to protect "serious operators" from "pirates" with not approved or no-safe pedicabs, without insurrances etc....

Keep on discussing

Saludos
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Default Pirates and unsafe Machines

I think that "pirates" and unsafe pedicabs are a whole new subject but does fall into this.

What is required to be a "approved pedicab or rickshaw" and who should do the inspection and approval? I guess the regulation is what or who sets the standard? I know that in almost every city there is requirements to have lights at night.

Here the police can impound your bike if it does not have lights and is operating at night.

Unsafe bicycles can be impounded also.
    Last edited by Greg; 22-02-2008 at 03:20. Reason: Spelling

Default Regulation / Pedicab

I think it is so different in USA and Europe, because of the power of each state and even city.

Let's talk about Europe:

Most of the countries have a kind of traffic law where the different types of vehicles a defined. Let's talk about Spain:

Ciclo (Cycle) is a vehicle with at least two wheels + pedal powered.
    A bicycle is a sub-category - defined as: two wheels + pedal powered.

OK, now the fun begins. It's a Cycle, but not a bicycle by law. For this reason a some countries define them anyway as bicycle, as there are a lot of regulation and laws for bicycles, but just few specific laws for cycles. Its a kind of empty by law sometimes....

As most countries or cities consider them finally as bicycle they should fulfil some requirements:
    - Light at night
    - Brakes and so on.

Like a bicycle. By law each vehicle in public circulation must be approved in the country or in the European Community.....to avoid that unsafe vehicle generates public danger.

Usually there is a specific law which defines the specification the vehicles should have...It is a very complex subject.

The technical approval will be done by institutes or engineers approved by the country, like the German TÜV o Dekra - they will give you a paper saying: This vehicle is safe and does fulfil all legal / technical requirements.

In case our vehicle the have done a lot of test...brakes and so on...

OK - now you have at least a approved pedicab and it is much easier to find a insurance company.

Next step: You may use this pedicab for your own and non-economic transport. But as soon as you start to charge or accepting tips you are doing a business and this needs as everywhere special licences from the local authorities.

They should decide if your city is technically prepared for the implementation of this means of transport, where you may drive and so on.
    Each city is different and individual decisions a required - for this reason: No to general regulations, but yes to "case to case decisions".

Of course: Pedicabbers driving at night without light should be stopped by local police. Pedicabbers carrying more passengers then allowed (because of the construction of the pedicabs) should be stopped and paying the $$$$ - Pedicabbers cheating or overcharging clients should get a kick in his arse. I think we are all agree with this….

So now we reach the regulation in the city: Should local authorities react as soon as pedicabs are starting to generate problems or should they regulate before this could happen to avoid future problems. I am not saying that pedicab is generating problems, but of course there is always the possibility. Both points of view are right.

I think this is a political decision: Would we as a city like to have a environmentally friendly transport – yes or no? If the answer is yes: The authority should support the operators, talk to them and find out what they really need.

Of course: The authority should regularly check that all operators are fulfilling the minimum requirements of an operator:

- Insurances
    - Legal pedicabbers
    - Certificate of last safety check of the pedicab

Often the regulation is a reaction of something that does not work well….Why have the limited driving pedicabs in Vegas? What is / was the reason?

In Europe sometimes it is forbidden to drive where a huge amount of motorized vehicles a driving or they prohibit driving a pedicab with advertisement in historic places to avoid a advertisement-contamination…..this sounds reasonable….each city is different y requires individual regulations – or no regulation.
    Saludos

Gerald

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

The above post was nicely lay out and I applaud what you have written. I can actually use it to be proactive. I think that right now there is no one who can certify my bike because there is no convening authority. I guess I can take my velocab to the local bike shop and have him look over the pedicab tell me what if anything needs to be done to make sure the rickshaw is safe.

Default Learn your area and what applies to you

Take some time and learn what laws and ordinances are in your local operating area and read them carefully. If you go in and out of different cities which sometimes is a matter of crossing a street, you may be breaking an ordinance that was not in the other city.

Sometimes they can work for you and sometimes you may be surprised to what they say.

Now are they enforced?

Note: One day they are not and a new officer comes and he decides he will hold everyone to the law cause he knows them.

Do you want them enforced?

Just understand the ordinance and what they say, know that asking too many questions with out having some understanding is a two edged sword.

What would be the definition of a "Pirate pedicabber"?

Hi Hev,

I never figured out where are you from? UK?

Anyway. As far as I know the Velocabs are approved in Germany by DEKRA or TÜV and fulfil the technical requirements established by German / European law.

Basically the big-players in the biz have safe pedicabs as Veloform (Velotaxi), Velocab, Maximus, Main Street etc…all of the passed in some countries a approval by official engineers.

Of course a problem could cause a pedicab with “lower quality”…let’s say imported pedicabs from China or not approved pedicabs made in some countries in Eastern Europe.

Resumen: You paid 7000 something for your Velocab, right. It’s because of quality (and of the EA :-p )

Of course: regular maintenance and safety check is always a good idea.

In which country are you cycling HEV?

Saludos
    Saludos

Gerald

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Take some time and learn what laws and ordinances are in your local operating area and read them carefully.
    I 100 % agree!

Pirate Pedicabbers? I mean Pedicabbers:
    - Not respecting traffic rules
    - Not respecting neighbourhood
    - Not approved pedicabs / or unsafe pedicabs
    - No insurance
    - Illegal drivers
    - Overcharging clients
    - To many clients in the pedicab
    - No licencees at all

Would be Outlaw the right word ? I am not native
    Saludos