View Poll Results: Are regulations in cities good or bad

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • No regulations and things will sort out?

1 11.11%
  • The city will determine what works?

0 0%
  • Just a licence not requirements or restrictions?

1 11.11%
  • Licences for every driver and operator with requirements?

6 66.67%
  • Lots of regulations to keep pedicabs highly restricted?

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedicab and Rickshaw Regulations

Either will work fine in my book! I wonder how many "Pirates or outlaws" there are out there, we are fighting that battle as we speak!

Hi Greg,

I don't know if this "Outlaws" are reading in forums...I am not talking about any member of this forum, but about a concrete case I know (Europe).

- No licensees
    - Illegal drivers
    - Pedicabs without light at night
    etc.....

Sorry that I will not mention the city and the operator at the moment in this forum, but I guess, that there are more people then me knowing a similiar case. Maybe not. I have not talked about it.

Saludos

Gerald
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Unhappy The future of pedicabs in your city?

In my opinion these are the subjects that are at core of what will decide the fate of pedicabs in the US and elsewhere.

The ability of pedicabs to be part of the fabric of the city will be damaged if the pirates decide to operate in the fringe of the society. Each operator and driver has the responsibility to give back to their location rather than taking from it.

I know the attitude of many of the pirates and they could care less about the long term ramifications of their actions and how it affects others.

How do the legitimate operators keep pedicabs on the streets, and keep it a positive experience for all the people who take a ride for what ever reason?

There is nothing more that I hate to hear from a client is that they were overcharged and treated badly by a pedicab driver. Charged 20$US for a 2 block ride or taken to wrong place and dropped off, because the guy want more to take them to where they said they wanted to go. I hear stories of pedicabbers in other cities taking bets to see who can get the highest fare for the shortest ride. This action will kill this industry in a heartbeat. The pirates ride anyway they want with no rules and make it hard to be a positive addition to a city, town or village for the legitimate operators who care whether the will be able to operate next week.

Everyone, what is the way to combat these barbarians? They are the ones who pillage a city and lay waste to the cities view of pedal-powered transportation, they operate for a short time and severly damage our reputation for a long time.

These renegade pedicabbers can ruin a market in a single weekend if not controlled and keep from operating in your location.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Greg; 22-02-2008 at 00:54. Reason: Spelling corrections

I operate in Denmark in Home of the Roskilde Festival. I have talked to the authorities in my town and they do not have any regulations in place for pedicabs. In fact when they tried to get something started they decided it was not worth the effort. They had better things to do. So I guess I am a pirate. I do not over charge customers because I have a tip based service. I only operate Friday and Saturday nights. I am guilty of over loading but ever since I spoke the Guido the designer of Velocabs and he informed me that was not the way to go I have done it a hell of a lot less. Since I am the only one doing it in my town am I illegal? I have gone through my fair share of Red Lights but in my defence my customers in courage me to do so. We live in a very small town. 50,000 people. So not so many cars after 11pm except for the taxis and police making sure the locals behave.

I do not live in a big city Greg. I am the only operator in the town of Roskilde in Denmark. The Velocab and myself do live in the community. So I do care what happens here. We have a pop of 50,000 give or take. So I have no one to compete with to see who gets the biggest fare for the shortest trip. I am in this for the long haul. I provide a great service to the party people in my town on Friday and Saturday nights. I work for tips so I let the customers decide what the trip is worth.
    I would say half the time the customers feel uncomfortable with having to make that decision on what to pay. So then I give them guide lines based on what others have paid in the past to the same destinantion. One of the most important things to me is to get the person in the cab. Sell the ride. I read that some where online. I do not really understand what you mean by give back to the community. I do give free rides to people that ask. If I see someone that could really use one I will offer. I try and not let how much money I have made that night guide me as far as freebies are concerned. I have been providing this service since October 2007. I know that I am well like by the people that go out to have a good time. That is because I like the people of this town. I do own my Velocab so it does not make sense for me lay waste to the landscape. In some ways I guess I am a pirate but that is because the local authorities do not think that it is worth there time to make any rules on what a pedicab driver should do. So I just go about my business and make sure that I provide each and every customer with a positive experience so that way word of mouth is great. I do love what I do and feel that I am good representitive doing this work.

Red face Hev, I would call you a Pioneer

Well, by what you have said your not a "pirate" at all, You are trying to create a market and be a positive influence in your community. I'm not sure the laws, but if you need insurance I'm sure you have it. If there was a requirment to have a permit, I'm sure you would get it. You'll have a business permit if it is required. I bet you even have a cell phone and someone can call you for a ride. I bet you even have a computer and are trying to do some marketing in your town. You my friend are a Pioneer in a business.

These are not marks of a pirate. A pirate meets his buddies at the pub and hits the streets with a bike with no lights and held together with tape. A pirate pulls into a city in a pickup with bikes piled on top of eachother and unloads them late so the police are busy. Them have no idea what the rules are because they don't care. They cut the lines and tell the drivers who have been in that market for years to F#&* off. They have no makings no cell phone, no name, no safety considerations, no insurance, no permits, no licences, no brakes, no concern for the clients, no respect and no concern for the rules that the current riders follow. This is a PIRATE.

Giving back is taking the time to be involved in community functions, donating your time to a fund raiser to the local school, taking recovering kids around the block just see them smile on the day the hospital is having them get outside. Giving someones grandmother a ride just because you know she never has. Delivery of meals to elderly on Saturday for free. The list is a mile long of thigs we do.

Pedicabs are like any other indrustry, There are good apples and bad apples until the bad apples are gone the whole basket may rot.
    Last edited by Greg; 22-02-2008 at 17:08. Reason: comma's

Thank you Greg for the kind words.

Size of operation has nothing to do with it. One pedicab is just as much as a business as 30 or more. Its about responsibilty and acountability. Look at Pops Pedicabs in San Deigo. That how it needs to be done right.

rickshaw92 Guest

- No licensees
    - Illegal drivers
    - Pedicabs without light at night
    etc.....

Sounds like more than half the companys in London.

How do you lads define overcharging?

How many passengers do you consider to be overloading?

Angry Overcharging and Overloading

Most all driver here go for the "tips only" as it seems to work best. Takes more skill and everyone is happy.

Overcharging would be charging more that the set standard rate.
    Example: $10US per mile, charging more than that = overcharging just because you can. If someone gets off your cab and feels like you adjusted the rate as you went, or is different than what was charged last time. Charging more than what was agreed to when the ride started and making people feel like they were ripped off. (Bad karma for everyone.)

Overloading = If your passengers do not have a place to sit and have to sit on someones lap that is overloading. (little kids are different) Exeeding the number of passenger set by the maunfacture. If you are overloading and there is some kind of accident, the driver and owner may become liable.

Example: I have seen a driver with three people in the seat and two more riding backwards on the back of the seat with their legs hanging over the back.

I have been asking this question for a while, Does more passengers on ride equal more money? (unless you charge per person).

Not one driver has said it does!!!

It takes rides from other pedicabs and causes you shorten your night and causes damage to the cab. If you ride in a hilly area you will blow out your knees.
    Last edited by Greg; 23-02-2008 at 04:34.

Thread Information