View Poll Results: Are regulations in cities good or bad

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • No regulations and things will sort out?

1 11.11%
  • The city will determine what works?

0 0%
  • Just a licence not requirements or restrictions?

1 11.11%
  • Licences for every driver and operator with requirements?

6 66.67%
  • Lots of regulations to keep pedicabs highly restricted?

1 11.11%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pedicab and Rickshaw Regulations

I do not consider it over loading to have two girls sitting on two guys lap. Most people on a Friday or Saturday night travel in groups of 4 or more. And most want to stay together so if you can not fit them in your cab then they will walk to where they are going. We all know taxis are not our competition it is the decision to walk instead. For me it is not so much making more money to carry more people it is not making any money when the group walks off because I decide I can only take two people. That is a decision that is bad for business. Again I am the only guy in my town doing it so the idea of not sharing the wealth with other pedicab drivers is not a concern. I also do have pedal assist which is a drug. Anyone who has it will never want to go back. I only use it when I have passangers or if the wind is blowing in my face. I live in a country where wind mills provide 20 percent of the nations energy supply so I have been told.

Default You have a interesting situation

Being the only bike out there, your situation is different. There can be a problem of losing a ride if you can't take them and I do understand how that can be. Let me ask if you had other cabs there and 4 people wanted a ride would you share the people out to the other cab or take all 4 yourself?

I would share the ride. I actually had a situtation like that in Copenhagen back in December. I decided to go into the big city of 1 million when a football team from Spain Athletico Madrid were playing the local hero's FCK Copenhagen. Anyway I would just speak to potential customers as they passed by and I would use my N.Y.C. style and sell the ride while the locals just sat there. I would take the client to the stadium about a 20 minute round trip and not one other driver had leftl line. I did that three times in a row. I was shock that I was that good or that they expected people just to plop down in the back of there cab. The next time I was selling the ride there was a group of 4 people and they were willing to ride with me but I ask them if they would not mind spilting up. They had no problem with it so we did it. One of my favorite says is If you are not sharing no one is caring.
    Wow long answer for a simple question.

rickshaw92 Guest

Greg:
    I hear stories of pedicabbers in other cities taking bets to see who can get the highest fare for the shortest ride.
    Sounds like Toronto back in the day.

Greg:
    This action will kill this industry in a heartbeat.
    Really? It took 12 plus years of out and out doing that pirate thang in T.O. befor the wall came crashing down, this sort of thing has been going on in London unchecked for many years with no end in sight.

Greg:
    The pirates ride anyway they want with no rules and make it hard to be a positive addition to a city, town or village for the legitimate operators who care whether the will be able to operate next week.
    Having been there, done that, and bought the tee shirt I agree.

Greg:
    Everyone, what is the way to combat these barbarians?

Napalm?

rickshaw92 Guest

Greg:
    Most all driver here go for the "tips only" as it seems to work best.
    Working for tips you say? I find that laughable. I like to put my own price on the product I sell, not have some chump punk me off with 'chump change' when the ride is over.

Greg
    Overcharging would be charging more that the set standard rate.
    Fair enough, thats why its always good to have a high standard rate, folks with more money than brains can pay the piper, everyone else can ask for a deal.

Greg:[quote/]Overloading = If your passengers do not have a place to sit and have to sit on someones lap that is overloading. [/quote]

Ha ha ha, WRONG! If people are content to all pile on than good for them, and my wallet! I have had up to 8 in my rickshaw, even managed a few families of 5 and 6 + luggage and it wasent a probelem, no big deal however I was not on a bike at the time, this all happened on a traditional rickshaw. As for a bicycle rickshaw it would depend on the route to be taken, ie, flat straight line, like a certan one horse town in Danmark, no big deal. Going down hill in centeral London, big deal.

Greg:
    I have been asking this question for a while, Does more passengers on ride equal more money? (unless you charge per person).
    Of course it means more money and who wouldent charge per person?

Greg:
    It takes rides from other pedicabbers
    Why yes it does.

Greg
    And causes you to shorten your night

How?

The only thing I take do not agree with is setting a price v.s. tip base service. I know the most important thing is to have passengers in the ride. If you set a price that is too high then you let money walk away. I know I would rather roll the dice that I will wind up getting the proper money than still waiting forthe person to meet my asking price. Empty cab means no money I find that people wind up giving me more than they planned and more than I would have charged if I had set a rate. Some times you do get punked but the bottomline is how much cash you have at the end of the evening. Some customers want to know before how much money I want for the service I am about to provide and will not get in the velocab unless I set a rate. Bottomline is you have to read the customer on the spot and give them what they want and need to get them in the ride. Just my opinion. There is more than one way to make money in this line of work. This is what I feel comfortable with. I do not like having a empty cab.

I have been out of Barcelona and without internet during the last 2 days.....relax with the family....keep on this interesting thread...very interesting discussion and opinions.

Huges.

Gerald
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Oh forgot to note: we are at 5280ft or 1200meters elevation and its hilly.

How you ask? You blow all you got on a overload, nights over cause its hurl time.

Any traditional rickshaws operate in any hilly cities. Everyone always wants rides to the top of the hill.

You may laugh about the tip thing but the good riders make double the ones who charge a rate.

I operate at sea level 99 percent of the time. The only time I go up a hill of any consequence is when I go through a train through fare and have to climb up a steep inbankment to get to the other side. Even then I ask the passengers to get out and walk up the steps and I will traverse the incline and meet them at the top of the steps to continue our journey. Greg after reading your last post it really puts to the test the tips v.s.rates service. Working in a hilly environment at altitude is not for the faint of heart. I know I am not faint of heart. Just happy that I have found my niche. Just remembered during the summer there is this place called the Viking Muesum that is a 10 percent down hill from the center of town. People like to go down there to hang out at the harbor. So I expect people to want to go down there when the weather is better than it is now. So my future has a few hellacious climbs. From the Center of Town to the Viking Museum is about 2km away. Your opininion now Would you still do the tip service to haul two people back to town from the water. I figure I would still do tip base going from town to the water because it is down hill and all I have to do is slow the bike down from going too fast. Remember I just started in October so this will be my first Spring and Summer if the Velocab holds up. So far so good.

personally I'd like to have a system where my passengers pay me by the calories that I burn. I think I could get a special crank that has a strain gage of some sort. I could then chage like 5 calories to the dollor or some thing. That way fatties going up big hills pay extra. And the little skinny girls that never seem to be willing to pay more than a few dollars can get what they want too. Maybe I'd have a minimum charge.

Thread Information