Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Cycles Maximus

Thumbs down Bad to just copy

Nothing to do with, 'Protectionism' - you bought any pirate DVD's? If a product is sold claiming to be a UK or US bike, then thats the same thing. If you said 'we'll it's a China, Indian or Mexican Trike' - cool.

If a UK/US maker spends thousands of pounds on getting their own design to work with all the legal, health & safety - then along comes some cut price copy to crap up the market.

What about the poor rider who has a set of forks were is balls were, again bit of a blow, especially because the maker has no product liability insurance. Then we have the sucker who can't get any of his 'imports' to run because the steel and welding is bellow standard & snaps when you stand on the peddles.

Quote Originally Posted by tdayuk View Post
    Nothing to do with, 'Protectionism' - you bought any pirate DVD's? If a product is sold claiming to be a UK or US bike, then thats the same thing. If you said 'we'll it's a China, Indian or Mexican Trike' - cool.

If a UK/US maker spends thousands of pounds on getting their own design to work with all the legal, health & safety - then along comes some cut price copy to crap up the market.

What about the poor rider who has a set of forks were is balls were, again bit of a blow, especially because the maker has no product liability insurance. Then we have the sucker who can't get any of his 'imports' to run because the steel and welding is bellow standard & snaps when you stand on the peddles.
    As on the other thread, tdayuk, point taken; if someone sells a product claiming it to be made in a specific country, and it's not, then that is clearly misleading the buyer and highly unethical. I'm not trying to be controversial, but isn't the seller, rather than the manufacturer, liable under law if misleading information or substandard goods are sold? (At least in the UK...not sure about the US). I bought my rickshaw from a UK-based dealer of e-bikes and the like. It's pretty substandard by the standards of you guys, but for the price, and my requirements, it's fine (now that learned how to take it apart and changed all the bits! ). But if it had been actually Unfit for its Purpose or Dangerous, I would have sued the UK company that sold it, even though it was made in Shanghai. Mind you, as it cost only 900 euro, I could sue for a very small fee through the Small Claims Court...I'm not sure what the product price-limit is there, but surely a few thousand euro? In any case, the bottom line is that I'm probably coming from a different angle to commercial operators, and the price of UK/US rickshaws probably reflects the fact that they are sold as Commercial Investments. I would be interested in a higher-spec rickshaw made in Eastern Europe or Asia, but I would be careful not to buy something that was a direct copy of a prestige UK/US brand, and certainly wouldn't touch anything with false branding on it. Best Wishes.

Hi Sancho,

As I know you are using your pedicab for getting kids to/from school. Am I right. You don't use it for heavy duty work as many operators do. That's fine but I'm sure that if you would try to use it for day to day use carrying drunkies and normal size people you would probably get lots of problems.

The point here is if you look for quality and safety go for US/European made pedicabs, these usually conform with the safety features an the manufacturers have a appropriate liability insurance. You pay 1500euros more but you at least know what you are getting.

There is always this another option, buy cheap and go for chinesee, be unsafe, get the hassle with maintenance and if someone get injured, you don't even know who should be sued. somple as that

Point taken, Yendrek, and you're right, I only do about 8km a day on my rickshaw. I wouldn't dream of cycling it for 8 hours a day....funny, I was just thinking that yesterday when I was in central Dublin with my son, and we saw a commercial operated pedicab (stunningly beautiful, the type that is teardrop-shaped, covered, and the driver is in an almost recumbent position...) giving free rides. I suppose they try and make their living on advertising alone, but I cannot imagine it being a profitable venture in the long run. I agree that if I were a commercial operator, I would be very choosy in where and from whom I buy my bike. I suppose it's a bit like cars... taxi-drivers have very different requirements to domestic car-users. Best Wishes and apologies if I caused any offence by getting involved in a debate on which I'm not exactly qualified!

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Default Inner hub gears

The maximus uses the SRAM dual drive II connecting an 8 speed cassette to 3 inner hub gears as its lay shaft. We have just had one break on one of our trikes. Surely you could change the lay shaft in the Chinese trike to the SRAM if it is an inferior part.

It all comes down to how you ride the trikes - you must train your staff not to shift more than 1 gear at a time, never up hills and never when applying pressure to the drive chain ie your legs should turn but must not be driving the bike when shifting. This compromises all the parts that are built for bikes not trikes - expensive if you are changing deraillers, chains, and inner hubs due to unskilled staff. If I catch my staff cruching gears I sack them.

Similarly I ask my staff to use electrical assists in no longer than 3 second bursts and to pedal twice as hard when applying it. This stops overheating of the control box and excessive wear on the motor.

I also sack my staff instantly if I catch them overloading the trike, riding the trike on 2 wheels, powersliding or if they excessively buckle a wheel - the trike is only as good as its rider and high staff turn over means you need correct training programms to protect the future of your business

Quote Originally Posted by TikkiTikki View Post
    The maximus uses the SRAM dual drive II connecting an 8 speed cassette to 3 inner hub gears as its lay shaft. We have just had one break on one of our trikes. Surely you could change the lay shaft in the Chinese trike to the SRAM if it is an inferior part.
    hi tiki tiki, i m afraid its not just about gears , if that would be the case all the chinese made crap would already be fitted with dual drive and there would be no problem. sadly it is the frame, axles shafts and welds that normally dont last with chinese made rickshaws.

i mean here clearly YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, choice is yours

Hi again,
    I just love this section, so more of my 'two pence worth'. Buy the best you can afford and remember what you want to use it for, it's always easy to get a cheap bike/trike but as we all know the money has to be 'shaved' off at some place and this can be in qualety of raw materials, manufactoring - labour payments (employee rights, health), research and development, assembly, warranty, back up and parts. So choose to hack a chunk out of each option as stated and presto save some cash ............. then pay more later

It's been fun watching the different models, from different locations and with different price tags fight it out in London, the competition does press the market price and whats more interesting is the resale value of the bikes in some cases in just under 3 years.

2nd hand sales prices after 5 years in good condition
    new £5500 Velotaxi (D) = £1500-£2200
    new £3700 Maximus (UK) = £1500-£2200
    new £3200 Velocab silver (D) = £1000-£1500 (all are over 7 years old)
    new £2800 Eco taxi (P) = £1500-£2000
    new £3200 Mainstreet (US)= £1800-£2500
    new £2200 Canterbury trike (UK) = £650-£800 (most are 6+ years old)
    new £1500 Chinese clone (if working) = £200-£650 (most are under 3 years old)
    new £2000 Street Fighter style (P) = £350-£650 (a few are 5 years old)

It's interesting to see that the 2nd hand market has shown which pedicabs have held up and which have lost their reputation, the ones now working their 2nd shift are now also showing up how the supply chain for parts is working out. Wheels, hubs and drive shafts have been the hardest parts to get.

Hello all

I started biking at 58 to save my life--literally...bad heart etc etc.. Now I bike everywhere in Vancouver..and have managed to take about7000 kms a years off my dino-fuel car... I now want to purchase a velocab for personnal family use..I will ride it to work and for shopping and visiting friends of weekends.. Looking for a machine that can carry myself and two passengers in Vancouvers winter rains..
    Any idea where I should start looking for a personnal velotaxi on the Westcoast What is the most efficient ride..

PedalPowerBikeTaxi Guest

Guy here in Vermont has imported five or six and "converted" the parts supposedly... after he had a meeting with me and agreed for three years to not compete if I would show him some of the designs I was working on........and when he couldn't sell them on the tails of our success, he had posted the ads on Craigslist and was asking five thousand....!!! now he wants 3995.00......!!!!

I fabricate the strongest and lightest cabs anywhere....entirely out of T6 6061 Alloys, and I know that they are a cheap escape from legitimate engineering and fair competition......

How would you feel if every pedicab you invented gets ripped off by the chinese, ....??? Cycles Maximus must be pissed....

And also.....I wouldn't generalize everything about rickshaws back to China.....

The word rickshaw is actually Japanese in origin....short for Jin Riki Shaw.......or Human Powered Vehicle

Thread Information