Thread: Building a rickshaw

lok Guest

Default Building a rickshaw

Hi all, I'm new here.

I want to build a rickshaw. any ideas or plans out there?

basically I want to be able to have my wife and daughter sit in the back and I want to run with them in the carriage. I want to build it as cheap as possible

Thumbs up Good luck

Maybe a 2nd hand pedicab will work out cheapest, as you'll know it works but a cheap import is also an option (though anything from the east is unlikely to be upto scratch).

Organic engines have had a few good clones, though I would buy my parts from them & just go for the kit. Enjoy & have a look at the gallery I've been through the process and still do the odd proto for some clients.

Red face Helps to read

Aaaaah, that type of running rickshaw ......

Ok, go to a scrap yard get two sets of drop outs (like on a the fork of a cycle) weld onto each side of a three box frame, bolt or weld 2x long poles, bike 26" front wheels (stronger is better), then bolt three plastic seats into place and run your hart up to speed.

Should be able to do this for less the £10 if you go to your local council recycle yard, as they are always getting scrap cycles dumped.

rickshaw92 Guest

Heres some design ideas.

Dont forget to get that add space sold

Just a thought.
    The system man-bicycling running on a horizontal road is at least of the order of 100 times more efficient than man walking or ruing on the same horizontal plane.

If we assume that bicycle's efficiency is n, the man's alone efficiency < n/100.

The efficiency superiority for bicycling is due to the pedals. With pedals, when one leg is lowered the other leg is simultaneously raised. In this way, the pedals have the ability to offer-exchange the potential energy of a lowering leg back to the raising leg potential, instead spending and wasting a new energy each time one leg is raised.

Therefore, pedals enable the legs never to lose their potential energy, instead pedals allow the same potential energy to be carried from leg back to leg. The only energy, thus spent for bicycling on a horizontal plane is that due to friction. Though, for a human the energy spent for walking or running is that of friction-relatively very small plus the potential energy that is wasted into heat for raising the legs or the whole body in case of running. In running the body moves with jumps that raise the whole body above the ground to some 0.4-0.6 when the both legs do not touch the ground. In this case, the energy lost Erunning = m rghr is much much more tiring, compared to walking Ewalking=mwghw, for mr >>mw and hr >hw.
    http://www.papimi.gr/zeromuscleefficiency1.htm

Thread Information