Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show me yours and I will show you mine

Default Very cool, Thanks for sharing

Interesting modifications. Just wondering about the rear axle. Is it solid one piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Interesting modifications. Just wondering about the rear axle. Is it solid one piece?

It is a single wheel drive on the left side. I am a bit disapointed with the amount of wheel slipage on a slippery surfaces and inclines. I may decide to get a differential for it. First I will get it build up and see how well it works with passengers.

The right wheel rotates on the hub bearings.

Adding the platform to the rear has put more weight on the rear tire and stiffened the frame a lot. This helps with traction a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hev View Post
    Ken you are a talented person. Real curious if you can make your prototype cheaper that you can get retail. If you do not mind when you are done and get your first paying customer to tell us your bottom line cost for materials. I know your time is very valuable will not figure into the final cost.

I do not think it would be profitable for me to sell this type of pedicab. Unless you have the many many hours of extra time I would guess that it would be cheaper to buy one all built up.

I do not know if it is too late but have you considered a cab the can take four to six people by having them sit facing each other like they do on the train. I know from talking to people who know a little about building a pedicab is that the wheels are the weakest link,then the breaks and fork. My idea for the wheels is to have four wheels instead of two in the back. Like a 18 wheeler I do not know if it is possible to have wheels that close together. If you could do that then you could have more weight on board because with the two extra wheels can bare the extra weight. As far as the front fork is concerned you can always inquire about having custom made forks to absorb the energy that is needed from the forward momentum generated when stoping. With Disc brakes I would think it would be possible to have brakes on all four wheels. Do not forget to reinforce the tube around the neck that leads to the drive chain. The above I have dreamed about building but alas I do not know how to use a blow torch. Flame on

Cool Interesting test

I wonder how a test would come out that takes one wheel of a pedicab on ice and one wheel on dry pavement. This would test the operation of the "differential". For all you tech people, on a old type differential (like a pedicab) in a car, if you have one wheel on your car stuck in snow you are screwed.

Does the pedicab wheels do the same? Are both wheel driving as a limited slip. Or lift one wheel and pedal. Different operators of different cabs will have different awnsers. I know the awnser for a MS cause I have done it in the snow and with one wheel lifted. Post you results here.
    Last edited by Greg; 22-05-2008 at 16:28. Reason: Asking for results

Default This will be a 4 passenger rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Hev View Post
    I do not know if it is too late but have you considered a cab the can take four to six people by having them sit facing each other like they do on the train. I know from talking to people who know a little about building a pedicab is that the wheels are the weakest link,then the breaks and fork. My idea for the wheels is to have four wheels instead of two in the back. Like a 18 wheeler I do not know if it is possible to have wheels that close together. If you could do that then you could have more weight on board because with the two extra wheels can bare the extra weight. As far as the front fork is concerned you can always inquire about having custom made forks to absorb the energy that is needed from the forward momentum generated when stoping. With Disc brakes I would think it would be possible to have brakes on all four wheels. Do not forget to reinforce the tube around the neck that leads to the drive chain. The above I have dreamed about building but alas I do not know how to use a blow torch. Flame on

This pedicab will have 2 benches approximately 36 inches wide . The two benches will face each other, allowing for the 4 passengers to have a conversation. The benches will have an aisle about 14 inches apart. The rear most portion of the seats will be above the 20" rear wheels. The seat back will tilt outward to about 50" wide. There will be two large signs on the sides approximately 25 inches by 40 inches. There will also be smaller signs on the front and rear of the carriage. I am also planning to install a great deal of lights and a small sound system. If the city would let me I would have a small wet bar.
    Last edited by Ken Cameron; 23-05-2008 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I wonder how a test would come out that takes one wheel of a pedicab on ice and one wheel on dry pavement. This would test the operation of the "differential". For all you tech people, on a old type differential (like a pedicab) in a car, if you have one wheel on your car stuck in snow you are screwed.

Does the pedicab wheels do the same? Are both wheel driving as a limited slip. Or lift one wheel and pedal. Different operators of different cabs will have different awnsers. I know the awnser for a MS cause I have done it in the snow and with one wheel lifted. Post you results here.
    I am pretty sure that the differentials in pedicabs are very simple units. The article on LSDs at wikipedia sums it up pretty well:

"In an automobile, such limited slip differentials are sometimes used in place of a standard differential, where they convey certain dynamic advantages, at the expense of greater complexity."

Pedicabs and complexity don't go well together. However for those who must have the best, I think the Quaif chain drive limited slip differential for motorcycle engined cars would fit the bill. It's only 525 pounds sterling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Cameron; 23-05-2008 at 13:08. Reason: more info

hey guys,

many thanks for those links, great source of information about diffs

Thread Information