Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help with purchase

Dave_In_Aus Guest

Default Newbie needs help with purchase

Hi all
    I am planning to buy my first pedicab and can't decide on which would be best. I am wondering which is easier to ride - the type in which the people sit in front or the chariot type where the passengers are in the back. I have been weighing up whether to buy one of the Chinese made pedicabs (chariot type) which look really cool and cost around US$1300 including postage to Australia. (pic below)

I am also looking at a locally made one where the people sit in front which will cost me around US$1100. (actual pic below)
    http://www.pedicabforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1158642363
    Can someone please tell me the relative merits of each type? Which is easier to steer/brake etc. I know some of you might tell me that the chinese one will be crap, but I have done a bit of research on the web and found this exact same model being successfully used by many pedicab riders. I am on a very limited budget so spending heaps more is not an option. I will only be using the pedicab privately so I dont expect to be covering great distances or anything. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Default one front wheel good, two front wheel bad, but...

All of the most successful modern pedicabs have a single front wheel, and two in the back. Therefore I would tend to think that this is a characteristic to look for in an easily operated trike.

However if you must look for a front loader consider the following:

Front loaders that have a single pivot underneath the carriage are more stable at speed than front loaders that the steering pivot behind the passenger carriage. This is because of the length of the lever arm between the front wheel and the pivot.

The following picture is of a very unstable trike of the type commonly made in Mexico. It is often used by ice cream vendors. It has the pivot behind the load bed.

The following picture is of a frontloader trike with a below load-bed pivot. It will tend to be more stable at speed than the "mexican trikes" due to the load being more centered over the pivot and the shorter lever arm between the wheel and the pivot.

I have seen only one modern front loader trike that has "Ackerman" type steering where each wheel has a pivot just inboard of it's hub. Then there is a linkage to the handlebar. This type of steering is more common on recumbent tadpole trikes.

http://www.workcycles.com/workbike/b...-tricycle.html

(Those kids are so freaking cute.) There may be other front loader trikes with this arrangement but I have not seen them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Ken
    Last edited by Ken Cameron; 02-07-2008 at 11:34.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Cameron For This Useful Post:

edavi (19-08-2016)

Hi Ken!
    I live in Brazil and want to start a pedicab business for Tours only and I wonder why are the 2 front wheel pedicabs not popular outside of Asia???
    Is it because its safer for the passengers to ride on the back?
    Is it because isnt good to advertise on them???
    Dont you think the tadpole style pedicabs are more suitable for tours likes the ones bellow in Austria???

front.jpg

regards

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hi Edavi,

You have answered your own question. You should really direct your question to tdayuk (Freddy), who went out of his way to get front loaders off the streets of London. I remember turning up once to his Shoe Lane base to see him walking one outside and leaving it for the bin men. The irate owner ended up locking it up around the corner, on the street for weeks.

They are dangerous bud, especially when you stop, or when the passengers stand up. The passengers make the bike pitch up at the rear, and the driver also rises up under braking. No one will insure them here.

They are excellent for urinating out of though!

Most pedicab companies start up with the golden idea of giving tours, and in some cities that model does work. Generally speaking pedicabing is a late night drunken riot that works best in the club district of a city, and amongst drunken party people. Pretty much every western town and city in Europe and N.America now has this service, and so they are nothing new to Westerners anymore. As such, the tour part of the business is not where the money is, that said, it can work providing your country doesn't have any mosquito-borne viruses that could put off potential visitors from coming................like they do in London.
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 20-08-2016 at 23:55.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

edavi (27-08-2016)

that said, it can work providing your country doesn't have any mosquito-borne viruses that could put off potential visitors from coming................like they do in London.
    Tut tut me old China. As filthy as many of our riders are we have not had any instances of them biting the punters.
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

Quote Originally Posted by TikkiTikki View Post
    Hi Edavi,

You have answered your own question. You should really direct your question to tdayuk (Freddy), who went out of his way to get front loaders off the streets of London. I remember turning up once to his Shoe Lane base to see him walking one outside and leaving it for the bin men. The irate owner ended up locking it up around the corner, on the street for weeks.

They are dangerous bud, especially when you stop, or when the passengers stand up. The passengers make the bike pitch up at the rear, and the driver also rises up under braking. No one will insure them here.

They are excellent for urinating out of though!

Most pedicab companies start up with the golden idea of giving tours, and in some cities that model does work. Generally speaking pedicabing is a late night drunken riot that works best in the club district of a city, and amongst drunken party people. Pretty much every western town and city in Europe and N.America now has this service, and so they are nothing new to Westerners anymore. As such, the tour part of the business is not where the money is, that said, it can work providing your country doesn't have any mosquito-borne viruses that could put off potential visitors from coming................like they do in London.
    Hey TikkiTikki,Thanks for the reply!
    I've always thought of pedicabs as a Tourist thing though....Here in Rio the Janeiro there are nearly 500km of bike lanes but city regulations dont allow bikes to do taxi service or even to be parked on streets,squares or sidewalks waiting for customers...Club districts are dangerous at night and taxi drivers/Uber would eat you alive if you show up anyways....
    The only "decent" front loading pedicabs I found is this green one made in Poland that costs 1000 usd(without shipping and customs taxes)
    polish.jpg

That thing looks horrible and is not worth anywhere near USD$1000.
    J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by cycle_pathic_maniac View Post
    That thing looks horrible and is not worth anywhere near USD$1000.
    Agreed!
    but I picked the ugliest one though,plus they are riced in Euros.
    this one is about the same price:
    polish3.jpg

Again, not worth that kind of money. If you want to do this you will have to be prepared to shell out a few thousand to get a good rig. Buy cheap, buy twice.
    J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cameron View Post
    However if you must look for a front loader consider the following:

Front loaders that have a single pivot underneath the carriage are more stable at speed than front loaders that the steering pivot behind the passenger carriage. This is because of the length of the lever arm between the front wheel and the pivot.
    -Ken
    Hi Ken!
    Just to make sure I understood what you meant:
    please correct me if I'm wrong!
    so this red pedicab bellow
    IMG_5725 (1).jpg

might be more stable than the green one,right???
    polish.jpg

Thread Information