Thread: Pedicab Rules in EC

Default Pedicab Rules in EC

According to the Driving Code over here, (witch as bean readapted once we reach the EC), is considered BIKE, a vehicle that moves by human power, by actuation at pedals.
    Can be tandem, 2 or more wheels.
    Can use a trailer on the back.
    But, in what concerns transporting persons, the Law says that only the driver can be on the bike, with the exception of kids (who may use approved seats, like baby chairs and certificate helmet.)
    Also, says the rule that is not permitted to transport persons on the bikes, and if so, may have one pedal set per person.
    Well. I couldn’t find the EC Driving Rules...If same one can indicate where I can read it to put on the face of same police men, please, do it.
    The case is simple.Pedicabs are build with one set of pedals and are over 60 kg.
    So, like that, they may be registered (BIKES up to 60 kg don’t need) and without extra set of pedals, no body can seat on the back.
    So , in witch rule are the pedicaps based?
    I have try for 2 years in roll to get permise to operate in the next town and the Mister President keeps saying that the rules are to follow. A fine is € 300.
    We will have elections this year, and I believe will be my chance to catch the rat.
    Also for the police..., every time I came out with one of my pedal vehicles, I will be stopped by a Babaloo in uniform."Heih mister, stop this thing...where is your plate? Driving licence and ID, please...”
    Well... I show them my driving licence for heavy trucks and public buses and 3 large books, very thick, where is all driving Code, Edition of 2008.... And they look, look, call and call... and don’t find the right rule to aplicate a fine, so ...finally, they make me drive to police station to weigh my vehicle ...and they register me on the day happens....and without to know exactly what to do...just send me out with " go, but we don’t wont see this anymore on the road....you hear me? Yes Sir. Not today.
    Next day in morning I take my daughter to the kinder garden, just aside of police station, and I get stopped. The same police, the same driver....but different pedicab... and I just say: Is not the same...this is the Noddy car.
    He made a strong face and said:"do not abuse ...patience as limits...”
    Well, how can I get ready of this baba? He has the right to stop me to check documents, but, according with I readied at the Driving Code, I may only present my ID.
    The problem is if any accident occurs...I want be sure about rules and rights.
    Any idea?

For me it is simple: No pedicab rules in the CE....but local (national) laws. As far as I know the CE "laws" define a bicycle as "two wheeler"...and for this reason there is no specific law for 3-wheelers and it shoud be used national laws or "interprete" CE laws for 3 wheelers...Very complicated subject...I understand you my friend, I understand you.....
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Talking

<H4> </H4><H4>
    See the diference!.... </H4><H4>68</H4>between to european contries
    UK----------You MUST NOT
    • carry a passenger unless your cycle has been built or adapted to carry one
    • hold onto a moving vehicle or trailer
    • ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner
    • ride when under the influence of drink or drugs, including medicine

[Law RTA 1988 sects 24, 26, 28, 29 & 30 as amended by RTA 1991] Extract from web Directgov ( Rules for cyclists (59-82) : Directgov - Travel and transport

PT---- È permitido transportar passageiros num velocípede?
    Can we transport passengers on a bike?

Sim, mas apenas em circunstâncias específicas:
    1. velocípedes com mais do que um par de pedais capazes de accionar o veículo [ex.: bicicletas tandem ou duplas] - número máximo de passageiros igual ao número de pares de pedais.Yes, but only in same specific situations:
    - bikes with more than one pair of pedals able to make it moving ( exemple of bikes tandens and doubles). The maximum number of passenger as to be equal to the number of pedals
    b. transporte de crianças em dispositivos próprios [ex.: cadeirinhas], desde que utilizem capacete devidamente homologado.
    Regra geral, exceptuando os casos acima indicados, os velocípedes só podem transportar o respectivo condutor.
    The transport of kids in apropriate seats( Example of baby chairs), is allowde , but they may use helmet acording to EC rules .
    In General, with the exception of this 2 cases,(1 and b),)the bikes only can care its driver

So..So.. or all pedicabs are not realy legal,or I live in a coutry of BABAS....or the polititians over here....insted be drived in a "cheap BMW",they should start going to they job by bike
    I belive that, imediatly we will have bike lanes ( oh!..its forbiten to drive pedicaps on bike lanes !...) and we will have very quick , a proper Driving Code.....

So I will keep trying to explane next time , more abouth our renewed Driving Code.... (imagine it before be renewed....!!!)

Salutos et hasta matina
    Gondis

Thumbs down Licence to Kill?

Probaly , it can interest same one......Read!...

Licence to Kill? A Campaign to change the Portuguese Road Code

European citizens who travel with their bicycles in Portugal probably trust that they are protected while cycling by similar traffic laws within a modern and cohesive European Union. It is not so.

The Portuguese Road Code bluntly fails to protect the more vulnerable road users because it includes articles that not only put cyclists in danger but also forces them to run risks. To just mention one example, the recently updated Road Code keeps the article (n° 32) which says that cyclists (alongside with animal-dragged vehicles) must always give priority to motorised vehicles (with the exceptions of roundabouts and exits of parking areas, etc.).

In 2005 a group of citizens started a campaign to change these blunt discriminations of cyclists in the Portuguese Road Code. We started by asking for help to other fellow European cyclists and put together a document that compared 12 road codes in Europe. It became obvious that some of the Portuguese rules were unique, unsafe and unnecessary, even under the light of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

We put up a website with several documents and wrote a 16 page proposal with a detailed article by article description of the necessary changes. We started an online petition that collected more then 2,700 signatures and started to pressure the National Assembly and central government services that deal with the revision of the road code. Four years later we can proudly say that the campaign produced some results. Currently there are under discussion two legislative proposals to change the road code, specially targeted to improve the safety of cyclists and based on the documentation provided by the campaign website.

The campaign started with the intent to change a few rules but soon included other broader objectives, like the introduction of the "Street Code" inspired by the recent changes in Belgium, and other traffic calming measures to reduce the speed of motorized vehicles. The paper will describe the campaign the lessons learned and the issues rose in Portugal. It will also compare European road codes and discuss in detail some of the rules that could be the basis of a future European Road Code, safer for all European cyclists

I hoppe same can change....

Quote Originally Posted by gondis View Post
    We put up a website with several documents and wrote a 16 page proposal with a detailed article by article description of the necessary changes. We started an online petition that collected more then 2,700 signatures and started to pressure the National Assembly and central government services that deal with the revision of the road code.
    Feel free to share your website, online petition and documents with us.
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Default Easy....I Feel FREE on my bikes!...

We had a Facista system for long time!...The country is rulled by the "old boys" and their sons...The democracy is writed with a smal d .......
    I will think abouth it.
    Got family...and I have'nt any cow in the back yard.,,,
    Big mouth as a price....I Feel FREE on my bikes!...

Thread Information