Thread: Screen-Resolution + Advertisement

Default Screen-Resolution + Advertisement

Today I received an email from our user Yendrek3

"Hi Trixi,

I've realised but the there is a technical problem with the dimensions of the home index page for the forum. It's too wide, looks like it's got about 1440 pixels width and it forces the users to scroll by side in order to see the full content. Quite frustrating and it occurs only on the hope page, all the rest is auto adjustable and displays properly. My screen resolution is 1280 * 800 and I'm short of about 150 pixels. Those who have screen of 1042 *768 or 800*600 may get even more frustrated.

If you use a screen with res of 1440 *900 you may not realise there is a problem."

Yendrek was absolutely right. As I am using a lot of computers (3 at home and 3 different in the office - most of them with big screens . 19 " and up)....I had not in mind that other people may have a smaller screen then me ...Stupid things of an admin....Here is the statistic how most of the users see Rickshawforum.com

Yendrek3 was right...Rickshawforum. was scrolling forward and backwards before....I changed the layout....you should be able to see it well even on an Iphone now (I checked it with an Iphone and a Nokia E90 and some other "real" computers). 90 % of our visitors have a resolution wider then 1000 pixels and most of them not higher then 1440 as Yendrek said.

I adapted the layout of the forum and hope that you will be able to see it without scrolling - I hope...

Great advise Yendrek3. Thanks for it. It's not "my" forum - it's our forum - so feel free to send me more important ideas / suggestiions as Yendrik did.

Another subject: In the past I had Google Adsense (a little income of advertisement to pay the server, domain and software updates) for Vbulletin (The Forum-Software, Photopost etc). In the last month the click price was very low...just few bucks a months - not even enough to pay the yearly software updates....so I decided not no contaminate the forum at the moment with adds but sponsoring it as admin and company Trixi.com instead disturbing you with adds everywhere for 40 bucks a months.
    Thanx Yendrek3 for your suggestion.

Abrazo a todos from Barcleona

Gerald
    Last edited by Trixi.com; 22-05-2009 at 01:51.
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Hi Trixi,

Thanks for the changes you have made. I'm quite pleased with that right now. I was wondering how it was before but it looked you had a settings set up at auto width. This means that the layout was automatically expanding according to the screen resolution. Could you check if that option still exists as it's nice to have forum on the full width of the screen and with auto width everyone would have a the forum on the full width.

BTW All other members, please say what do you think???

all best

Yendrek3

Thank you for your kind words :-). The problem with full wide is: Other plugins are not compatible with it...for example "Top 10 Stats" or Preview of Photo Gallery - I have to determinate the number of photos in the header - no auto wide available....

I think as it is we should leave it - on this way it is 100 % that most of our users may see it well on their screen.

Thanx for your help and have a nice weekend.

Saludos

Gerald
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Darn computers ...... spawn of evil ......... whats a screen/mouse? Thank goodness you guy's are into this, personally hate setting web site settings, my preference is to use these evil mashines for the good - to view new pedicabs and how people need them

Thread Information