Thread: looking at the business

Default looking at the business

I am considering getting into the business with my partner but have no idea what the business case looks like. Does anyone have a "basic - generic" pro forma/business case they could share to give me an idea of the potential income from a pedicab business?

Please advise.

Frank Winfrey

Much like I wouldn't open up a restraurant without ever working in one. I would advise you to go work and learn how to ride and make money on a pedicab so that you can teach others to do so in a safe manner.
    Last edited by buddydeath; 01-08-2009 at 00:32.

Buddydeath,

I appreicate your feedback. I would never dream of getting into a business without throughly checking it out and one of those things would be doing a "pilot". This is what I have done in the other business ventures I have started.

However before I invest the time and effort even in that I need to know if it is worth it and would like to look at what a pedicab business could net.

Is there a sample business case the community could offer?

BTW I am a avid cyclist.

Frank Winfrey

Probably like most other owners here we don't do it to get rich. Unless your in a city where they will cap the number of pedicabs allowed and only sell permits to you then you can sell off your business. If your in a city that regulates and there is no cap you can build up a business and try to sell it for more than bikes are worth. Capping means monopolies and America doesnt like that and in places with small number of capped pedicabs like Key West Florida then owners jack lease up to $100 a shift or more. Which then makes all their riders rip people off.
    The business is a mess right now, I'm just doing my part to keep my company running and keeping people riding.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good Luck
    Go ride a pedicab and see if you like doing it first, we all love doing what we do. At least I do.
    or contact Main Street Pedicabs | Pedicab Company
    they are the best in this business and will try to help you out.

Seriously, creating a profitable pedicab company is harder than it looks. While it is a simple business model, it is a very difficult one to execute well. Even when done well folks can get hurt.

Being a good judge of character is probably the most important skill you can have. Second most important is knowing when to fire some one before they get you in trouble. Third is being an excellent bicycle mechanic: wheel building and repair, bleeding brakes, repairing lighting, etc.

Being an "avid cyclist" does not give you the adequate skill set to run a fleet of bikes and riders.

Thread Information