Thread: Looking for source for good bmx wheels / tire opinions

Default Looking for source for good bmx wheels / tire opinions

14mm axle
    sealed bearing front hub
    48 spoke
    double wall

In talking with some local bike shops they're confident that the above spec should be fine with a 250lb load per wheel. I am assuming sealed bearings are the way to go for ease of replacement and minimizing hub wear since there are no bearing surfaces in the hub?

I need to find someone that sells something like this online that can ship ASAP. Not looking to pay more than $80 - $90 per wheel.

What kind of tires have you had good experiences with? I picked up a set of Animal ASM 2.10" and also Eastern Burnout High Pressure 2.10" tires. The Eastern's have Kenda's Iron Cap technology for puncture resistance. Going to try out both on different cabs to see which ones fare better.

Any help?

I'm looking for the same thing. I'm not sure about the bearings having to be sealed, but I did find this (with a loose ball hub):

Gusset Black Dog 2009 20" front wheel, 14mm 48h WHGUBD4F Find Gusset Bicycle Complete Wheels at BeyondBikes.com

I almost decided to go with those but couldn't bring myself to go loose ball. The sealed bearing is convenient for several reasons:

1. No cup/cone adjustments on the wheels to get the bearing preload correct after repair or servicing
    2. If the bearings fail the hub is not damaged and you can pop new bearings in relatively quickly
    3. No maintenance, just test the spin every once in awhile and if there is play or resistance, pop a new $3 bearing in place.
    4. Never having to deal with loose balls and grease!

I ended up ordering 6 from a local shop, they are unbranded 14mm sealed bearing hubs, 48 spoke, double wall wheels. $75 a piece + tax. Taking them to a local wheelbuilder to have the spoke tension checked and then putting them into service.

Hey guys. In the future, if you need wheels like this, let me know. I can get you something similar to what you just got (machine built) or, for a little more $$ I can hand build you wheels to your specs. I hand build all the wheels for my cabs and that is certainly the way to go. As is the sealed bearings. If the frames are built right (perfectly parallel and straight) your wheels, if hand built sealed units, should last for years and years with little to no maintenance required. If the frames are off a little and the wheels are ball bearing machine built, you're lucky if you make it 6 months!

Thread Information