Thread: Finding out Local Regulations?

Default Finding out Local Regulations?

so i'm looking to start up a pedicab business in my city. to my knowledge, no one has (successfully) tried this before. i've never been an entrepreneur or started up my own business, so i'm new to a lot of this. i want to do things as "by the law" as i can, so if i need permits, licenses, etc i'd like to have them (or at least be aware that i don't have them). what is the best way to find out my local regulations? do i need to be looking at state as well as city? my city website has not been very helpful so far, but it's a big site so i'll keep digging. thanks!

-Tim-

Hey Tim, forget the City Web Sites. Let them see your pearly whites and go down and talk to them. Check the Business License people (even if you don't "have" to), get a simple business license, so no one can harrass you). Talk to your City Counsel and/or Mayor. If there are no Rules & Regs you can help them make some that are responsible and fair (Background checks on drivers, Valid (your state Drivers License, Insurance, Safety checks on your bikes, etc). If you are going to run ads, make sure the city is cool on that too. They may not like too much "adult" ads. The City may want to limit which parts of town you can ride, also. I may open a can of worms, but I think all of these are important and good ideas. If you plan on being an honorable, upstanding, coorporate citizen, then you want to keep everything above the board. I am pro business, fair compitition, big, small, indie, etc., but one crappy, fly-by-night operator can swoop into your town (with out any rules), ruin the market, and leave. If you are a part of the community, these rules do not get in the way. Again, that is just one guy's opinion! Can-o-worms opened...

Don't forget about business liability insurance. The city types love that sort of talk. Even offer to cover the city as an additional insured! Tout the benefits of this pro-ecology sort of business, as well.
    Revolution Rickshaws LLC
    In Velo Veritas
    revrickshaws.com

What city and state? This would help if anyone has gone thru the effort before. Realize that without even owning a pedicab, the costs will be close to $2000 are year for insurance, license, permits, etc...That should be a rough idea of yearly costs...not including maintenence.

Default Independent contractors

If you plan on using drivers as independent contractors, I would also check with the State's regulations. In Oregon they make it very difficult to hire independent contractors. For example, in Oregon each independent contractor has to have their own business license and liability insurance.

Default Oregon has it right

with the requirement for insurance. They're independent. On their own. Some insurance covers the cab / business, no matter who's driving, but those are rare.

thanks for the information guys, keep it coming!

as to Gyke's question, this will be in Baltimore MD. i know it has been tried before in baltimore, unsuccessfully. i don't believe, however, that this is a result of the city. baltimore's tourism is growing every year, its bar scene is large year-round. parking is a pain in the ass and people in the city are definitely trending towards alternative transportation, eco-friendliness and the like. i really think it just needs someone who really wants to make it happen.

Thread Information