Thread: The London Scene

Default The London Scene

Hey all! , iv had a keen interest in rickshaws for the last few years and am a serious cyclist, it happens that i have a spare 6months or so from the end of May. Therefore my plan is to become a rickshaw rider! Is it easy to get into? Are there any companies to avoid? Im 18, is that too young? Any tips or advice?
    Thanks
    Spiral

Is it easy to get into?
    Yep. Sadly.

Are there any companies to avoid?
    Most. Bug Bugs is the only proper professionally run company on the streets of London, training takes a day and you have to pay for it. That said, in return for your money you get a proper well maintained rickshaw / pedicab like a Velo or a Mainstreet and not some knockoff that was crudely welded together in some guys back yard. The rickshaws are also insured. There are some companies that make an effort at being professional but they dont stack up. The only draw back is that you will be expected to follow a few basic rules while operating like stopping for red lights and following the one way system. There are a few parking restrictions as well.
    If following a few rules is to much to ask then find a company that runs either Mainstreet or Maxamus. Both makes are tried tested and true, ya cant go wrong with them in less they have been maintained by an absolute muppet, lots of then about on the streets of London. What ever you decide be sure to have a good look around before handing over any money, also some form of licensing might be on the way, if this happens and you are riding on a shitty bike your shitty bike might get nicked and you as well. If licensing came tomorow Bug Bugs would most likely be the only company in operation.
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

Cheers! Bugbugs sounds promising, i shall do some more investigating!

One more question, is it true that you need to have a full UK driving liscence to operate a pedicab?

No all ya need do is show up and bring money, in less you choose Bug Bugs, then you must bring some common sense.
    J. Buffett

J. Buffett

Default bugybugy

yes bug bugs is pretty good and probably the best in London, there is however few more companies that care but most certainly Bug Bugs is teh no 1. When you get there you will meet Friedel - very good funny fellah.

Good luck

there is however few more companies that care
    Indeed. We had a LPOA meeting 2 weeks ago at the Shoe Lane base, 2 people showed, Friedel and me.
    J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by cycle_pathic_maniac View Post
    Indeed. We had a LPOA meeting 2 weeks ago at the Shoe Lane base, 2 people showed, Friedel and me.
    with regret Maniac, my apology for not turning up but Friedel always sets up the time not suitable for others with very short notice. I agree however that most of the members don't give a single shit about the industry until there is a really serious problem to talk about i.e Police taking the rickshaws off the streets.

Thread Information