Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Hospitalized After Trolley Hits Pedicab

Exclamation Three Hospitalized After Trolley Hits Pedicab

Three Hospitalized After Trolley Hits Pedicab

POSTED: 11:18 am PDT June 9, 2005
    UPDATED: 11:58 am PDT June 9, 2005

SAN DIEGO -- Three people were taken to a local hospital Wednesday
    night after a crash involving a pedicab and a San Diego Trolley.

"We got broadsided by the Trolley," one of the victims told NBC 7/39. "He didn't stop in time."

The accident happened at 1st Avenue and Harbor Drive. According to San Diego firefighters, the pedicab flipped over, ejecting a couple and toddler who were riding in the cab.

Tom Doogan, an operations coordinator for the Trolley system, said the Trolley's warning signals should have kept the driver from the tracks.

"It looks from initial reports that the pedicab operator ignored the warning lights and entered the grade crossing," said Doogan.

The driver of the pedicab suffered moderate injuries. The mother and her 4-year-old son had minor injures.

An investigation into the crash is under way.

"It looks from initial reports that the pedicab operator
    ignored the warning lights and entered the grade crossing," said Doogan.

The driver of the pedicab suffered moderate injuries.

Last edited by Trixi.com; 10-06-2005 at 10:18.
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

rickshaw92 Guest

Wow. Anyone else ever have any mishaps? I got side swiped by a bus in London in 1999 but that is all I can think of that has happened to me personally. We3 have had a few accidents here in YYZ but nothing all that bad.

Default This year three

Most of the stuff that happens is not the big bad things but I know of three rock & role wounders this year. A bus driver tryn to squess a recumbent on over taking it, two dudes roling out as they chose not use the seat belt & a punch in the head from a cab driver.

The main thing is a bit of brain & no attempts at scuicide from you & your passengers, then some training for the new boys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickshaw92
    Wow. Anyone else ever have any mishaps? I got side swiped by a bus in London in 1999 but that is all I can think of that has happened to me personally. We3 have had a few accidents here in YYZ but nothing all that bad.

Cool Trikes are evolving

Most of the trikes here are starting to evolve & are taking into account the 'impact issues' raised by the LTDA (see the video on this site).

The new G6 has a passenger cage & seat belts which will give greater protection than the old open front used on the old maximus/mainstreet.

Maximus have also created a passenger cage which will act in the same way & I am aware that the bugs are also going for passenger rail/impact dampners.

All LPOA trikes are aimed to have seat belts by the end of this seasson.

So a 'big' thanx for the 'help' from LTDA

robin850 Guest

I am hoping that the investigation of the accident in San Diego shows the trolley was at fault. If not, shame on the pedicab driver for being where he shouldn't be.

We all need to be extra careful, as the media will blow everything out of proportion. This hurts the industry and also raises insurance costs!

Default More protection in pedicabs

I agree with Tdayuk that we should put in more intrest to our cabs to make them safer. That what happened in San Diego is horribble but accidents like that one will happen again and again ( I wish it won't ) and only one thing which we can do is make our ''Cars'' sefer putting in there safety belts, good lighting system with indicators and designing bikes safer.

I'm glad that in London is organistation like LPOA which really cares about our industry.

I wish to hear more about organisations like LPOA in another parts of our Globe.

Question What was the out come?

Did the old trolley get the blame or the rider?

As Robin850, & Yendrek3 said its important to keep our global image, cause even accidents in other countrys will be draged into 'evidence' for not letting our business run. The streets of London are much better now than last year, we still have a few bad boys but all in all the LPOA has had a good effect on the image & future of this business. Well done to thouse that desided to join forces & keep this business running in the west end!!!

robin850 Guest

I have been in contact with a few pedicab companies, one of which i have retained for consulting. They spell out what is and what is not acceptable behaviour for drivers quite plainly. I applaud the LPOA for their similar approach and their tenacity in the face of madness.

I wish we could get some action going here in the states to form an organization similar to the LPOA.

Richard Shaw Guest

What's needed is for pedicab companies to add one of those "How is my driving? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" signs on the back of each pedicab. If there's a valid complaint against a driver, then the company should refuse to let the driver rent out a pedicab again. There shouldn't be a blacklist of drivers, but every company should realize that bad drivers with repeated complaints reflect badly on the entire industry, allowing organizations like LPOA to tar and feather all pedicabs with the same brush. After watching their video, I admit they have some good points about safety. It's always the same story: If you don't police yourselves, then somebody else will do it for you.

robin850 Guest

Talking

i agree with having a method of notifying the pedicab company about how their drivers are doing (the "how's my driving?" sign). i will add that to my graphic layout next week.

/shields up/

i am wondering if we can perhaps use this forum as the beginnings of a body for reporting good (and bad) behaviour. for example:

"how's my driving? www.pedicabforum.com"

a link for reporting good/bad behaviour would be a simple matter. a form with required fields for reporting would not be hard to do. i do believe that the real work would be involved in validating and contacting those that make reports prior to posting the report in the public areas of the forum.
    /shields off/

Thread Information