Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three Hospitalized After Trolley Hits Pedicab

Default Company identification at pedicabs

Hi,

each of our pedicabs has an different number at the top at the roof (with the web address). As long as we are the only pedicab operator in town the police will not have any problem to identify our company ;-) but it is important from my point of view to have individual numbers. Any citizen may complain about a concrete pedicab (time / number of the pedicab).

I agree: A number which helps to identify the pedicab, a phone number or a web address is a MUST!!!

Richard said something very important: "If you don't police yourselves, then somebody else will do it for you."

Right. Right. Right. Do controls by yourself before the local police will do it for you! Or worse: The neighbours.

Our "rules" in Barcelona:
    - Respect the traffic laws

- Be friendly with the police. They are doing their job!
    - Never cheat a client
    - Never cheat a pedicabber
    - No drugs, no beer - from 11 a.m to 8 pm
    - Keep your pedicab clean
    - Be at the time picking up your pedicab.
    - Respect the fares we marked. We are not prostitutes! We are not expensive. We are not cheap. Our price is ok. Basic fares are not negotiable.

We have an internal "donation system". Crossing a red traffic light = 20 Euros donation to Greenpeace or "Bicycle Foundation Barcelona". Crossing the second time a red traffic light: Kick ass. Go to Mc Donald or set up your own pedicab company and show me how the biz works. OK. I have just 8 pedicabs and only 12 drivers working 20 days a month. But: Safety first. It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 100 pedicabs. Try to do a good work even with just one pedicab.

We give a huge pedicab manual to the drivers with their rights and their obligations. We do an intensive training and we take the time to explain everything. We do not giving jobs to people who just are passing Barcelona...

We reduce everything to a short sentence: "Respect all others and you will get their respect."

I am dreaming about an European or even better a World Pedicab Federation. A big round table talking about standards for our industry. Anual meetings and finding solutions for our growing sector.

Last edited by Trixi.com; 20-07-2005 at 02:56.
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

robin850 Guest

I too, long for a world organization.

If the stories portrayed in "Chasing Rickshaws" are accurate, i do not think we will have much participation from some countries. Europe, UK, Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand are likely to participate more.

We must ask ourselves, what would the goals of the federation be? What do members contribute and what do they receive? I am not talking about money, I mean what sort of information/opportunities/structures/guidelines/benefits/etc. would be exchanged?

Default Pedicab Federation

I see a lot of work to do:

What could a Worldwide Pedicab Federation do?
    -
    represents and defends the sector at international, European, federal and regional level
    - Lobbying with politicians
    - Newsletters, Forum, Directory of the industry.
    - Starting Point for everybody interested in pedicabs
    - Test / Reviews of pedicabs / trailers
    - Job-Pool
    - Annual meetings (small fair trade / exhibition)
    - Promoting pedicabs via press
    - Consulting
    - Participation in public hearings and on committees to represent the needs of pedicabs

But the first step could be an "European Round Table" and an "American Round Table". And there we could find out if there is really a need and the goodwill to do something like this.

Just an idea.

Saludos

Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Exclamation NOT LPOA but LTDA

Correction Richard Shaw, LPOA is 'London Pedicab Operators Association', the bad boys are LTDA 'London Taxi Drivers Association' (& Westminster Council)

LPOA don't 'tar & feather' (though LTDA would like to) & have been running a data base to keep track of bad riding, as most of this is just bad training. With the licencing due in December riders will need to keep a higher standard or I'll be needing a new job (which would suck big time ).

The other point of policing is that if 'they' police the pedicab industry, then we will be wiped out just by the additional cost through licencing (which would include all additional expenses & staff).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaw
    What's needed is for pedicab companies to add one of those "How is my driving? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" signs on the back of each pedicab. If there's a valid complaint against a driver, then the company should refuse to let the driver rent out a pedicab again. There shouldn't be a blacklist of drivers, but every company should realize that bad drivers with repeated complaints reflect badly on the entire industry, allowing organizations like LPOA to tar and feather all pedicabs with the same brush. After watching their video, I admit they have some good points about safety. It's always the same story: If you don't police yourselves, then somebody else will do it for you.
    Last edited by tdayuk; 30-07-2005 at 15:52. Reason: correction

Thumbs up World pedicab federation

It gives strength, when you can lobby your goverment for some rights (just look at the farming) but you can only do that when you have your industry behind you.

Information sharing also gives better protection & a future business.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixi.com
    I see a lot of work to do:

What could a Worldwide Pedicab Federation do?
    - represents and defends the sector at international, European, federal and regional level
    - Lobbying with politicians
    - Newsletters, Forum, Directory of the industry.
    - Starting Point for everybody interested in pedicabs
    - Test / Reviews of pedicabs / trailers
    - Job-Pool
    - Annual meetings (small fair trade / exhibition)
    - Promoting pedicabs via press
    - Consulting
    - Participation in public hearings and on committees to represent the needs of pedicabs

But the first step could be an "European Round Table" and an "American Round Table". And there we could find out if there is really a need and the goodwill to do something like this.

Just an idea.

Saludos

fredthehare Guest

I think we are all on the same page with this, but first we need to all start on a smaller level like your state/provance of operation. Get all pedi cab owners/operaters together and set the basic guidlines of operation, then present them to your state reps to have them entered into law.Keep in mind that the final goal is for all states to be able to come together and assest others. and before you know it there will be a world federation of pedicab. But we have to keep in mind that some states are harder, and stricter then others, so we cant set the bar to high but we still need to consider there are still a lot of virgin teritory in the US. and thats all I have to say about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdayuk
    It gives strength, when you can lobby your goverment for some rights (just look at the farming) but you can only do that when you have your industry behind you.

Information sharing also gives better protection & a future business.

fredthehare Guest

I think this type of behaviour is not the way to handle this problem. every owner should put there operators through an 8 hour hands on course after a writen exam. then periodocaly follow the cab through town and observe how they operate your cab. (Thats how I do it with my cabs.) And for those of you with money,desier,and a new pedi cab, I hope you have the sence to do what is needed to operate saftly. A quick story for all, There was a man in Ohio USA who bought 3 new pedicabs in 2000, because he rode one in Florida while on vacation.This man never operated a pedicab befor in his life, and did the best he could with the mind set "this is just like riding a bike", Well after causing 6 documented accedents in a course of 3 months the city he operated in inpounded all his cabs and wrote a new city ordence stating that these types of bikes can't be operated withen the city. And that is how I got my first 3 bikes only 3 months old from this city's impound in sep 2004. And the moral of this story is simple, If you don't police yourself the police will.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin850
    i agree with having a method of notifying the pedicab company about how their drivers are doing (the "how's my driving?" sign). i will add that to my graphic layout next week.

/shields up/

i am wondering if we can perhaps use this forum as the beginnings of a body for reporting good (and bad) behaviour. for example:

"how's my driving? www.pedicabforum.com"

a link for reporting good/bad behaviour would be a simple matter. a form with required fields for reporting would not be hard to do. i do believe that the real work would be involved in validating and contacting those that make reports prior to posting the report in the public areas of the forum.
    /shields off/

fredthehare Guest

Out of pure curosity what company is giving you advice? and are they charging you? there is a guy in new york who charges 75.00 for consulting. Please tell me your not using him.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin850
    I have been in contact with a few pedicab companies, one of which i have retained for consulting. They spell out what is and what is not acceptable behaviour for drivers quite plainly. I applaud the LPOA for their similar approach and their tenacity in the face of madness.

I wish we could get some action going here in the states to form an organization similar to the LPOA.

Thread Information