Thread: I want to build a power-assisted rickshaw bike and SELL MY CAR! Advice, anyone?

Thumbs up I want to build a power-assisted rickshaw bike and SELL MY CAR! Advice, anyone?

Hello everyone!

I find myself obbliged to get the car out of the garage to take my 3 children (yes, I've done my bit to help raise Italy's low birth rates!) to school in the mornings before going on to work - a trip of about 5 kms in total.
    I happened to see a rickshaw bike outside a Chinese restaurant in Caserta and thought "what a good idea!".
    Just one small problem, Agropoli has some inclines and I'm no Lance Armstrong!
    So the idea is to build a power-assisted rickshaw bike with a 250 watt electric motor to help me in those "difficult moments".
    Since deciding upon this enterprise a couple of weeks ago, I've posted a video appeal for help on an alternative energy site.

http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/OS:...w_Bike_Project

I've also posted on a solar energy site as I saw a rickshaw bike with a solar roof, which, considering I live in the south of Italy, could be interesting!

I've also posted on a very good Italian electric bike forum, whose first advice was to use a "central motor" to get the most out of the meagre 250 watts.

Finally I found the pedicabforum. I have read some of the threads and realised that this is the place to be!

I hope you can help me - I'd really like to hear from people who already use electric assist rickshaw bikes, their experiences and advice, especially anyone who has built their own. What motors, wheels, gears to use etc.
    I'm not against the idea of modifying an existing rickshaw bike, it's just that the prices are a bit prohibitive (single salary, four hungry mouths to feed, plus 2 cats etc). On the other hand I am an extremely good scrounger. I have taken part in all 4 Red Bull events in Italy creating some fun vehicles on a shoestring budget!

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks! Can't wait to get rid of the car!

PedalPowerBikeTaxi Guest

I have a two/three seater trike that I fabricate called the workhorse, and we also make the strongest and lightest trailers on the market........both can be upgraded with a 1000w hub motor and a 48 volt battery, and still are lighter than any other cab out there.....

T6 6061 Aluminum Alloy throughout for the frames and great components on all our bikes.

www.pedalpowerbiketaxi.com

Quote Originally Posted by inglese66 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I find myself obbliged to get the car out of the garage to take my 3 children (yes, I've done my bit to help raise Italy's low birth rates!) to school in the mornings before going on to work - a trip of about 5 kms in total.
    I happened to see a rickshaw bike outside a Chinese restaurant in Caserta and thought "what a good idea!".
    Just one small problem, Agropoli has some inclines and I'm no Lance Armstrong!
    So the idea is to build a power-assisted rickshaw bike with a 250 watt electric motor to help me in those "difficult moments".
    Since deciding upon this enterprise a couple of weeks ago, I've posted a video appeal for help on an alternative energy site.

http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/OS:...w_Bike_Project

I've also posted on a solar energy site as I saw a rickshaw bike with a solar roof, which, considering I live in the south of Italy, could be interesting!

I've also posted on a very good Italian electric bike forum, whose first advice was to use a "central motor" to get the most out of the meagre 250 watts.

Finally I found the pedicabforum. I have read some of the threads and realised that this is the place to be!

I hope you can help me - I'd really like to hear from people who already use electric assist rickshaw bikes, their experiences and advice, especially anyone who has built their own. What motors, wheels, gears to use etc.
    I'm not against the idea of modifying an existing rickshaw bike, it's just that the prices are a bit prohibitive (single salary, four hungry mouths to feed, plus 2 cats etc). On the other hand I am an extremely good scrounger. I have taken part in all 4 Red Bull events in Italy creating some fun vehicles on a shoestring budget!

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks! Can't wait to get rid of the car!

Hi there,
    nice to hear that people are into rickshaw's. we are usually into bicycle's, but now getting interested in bicycle rickshaw's and came up with morethan 7 models combining delivery rickshaws/ rpassenger rickshaws/delivery bikes, etc........., i would really appreciate if i get some feedback/help from your side. we can also join hands together.
    I would like to introduce myself as a leading manufacturer/exporter of Bicycle, Bicycle Rickshaws and Bicycle Components. Having in-house R & D facilities and ISO 9001 Certification, ISI marked & CE marking, at present we are manufacturing more than 7 models of passenger Rickshaw/work bike/ delivery rickshaws, 135 different models/designs of Bicycles which includes Roadster, MTBs, ATBs, Semi Sports, BMXs and Kid Bicycles in addition to all major components. Having installed manufacturing capacity of 6000 bicycles per day, we have our sales network in almost 65 countries around the globe. Also newly opening office in UK.

We have the HONOUR of being awarded by Govt. of India with NATIONAL AWARD for Quality. At international level we are the only bicycle manufacturer from India getting two International Quality Awards specially from Europe consecutively for two years first in the year 2000 “International Europe Award for Quality, Paris, France” and immediately next year from Geneva, Switzerland with “International Platinum Star Award for Quality”.

I have posted a new thread in manufactures and introduce yourself , attached pictures there or you can visit www.safaribikes.com , there - in International section>delivery/passenger rickshaw.

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU...............

Myself
    Jitin sharma
    Director{Business development/exports}
    Safari Bikes Ltd/ India
    E-mail: exports@safaribikes.com
    Msn: jitinsharma_sbl@hotmail.com
    Mobile : +919876737275
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jitin02
    Facebook page: www.facebook/SAFARI GROUP

Why not build a this type http://drumbent.com/trike.html
    It's inspired by http://www.organicengines.com/ but which should be easy to add two types of electric assist to and this should come in as an easy to make budget pedicab.

PedalPowerBikeTaxi Guest

Can see the interest is there and the engineering is up to par, just cant justifyspending on prototypes that cannot fill a mainstream, IE Corporate function, which we are vying for in our WorkHorse Cargo Model.......To be able to market to UPS for a chase vehicle/tag-a-long vehicle for their bigger trucks, to ease pick up times and drop off overflow in the heavy holiday seasons....they already subcontract to courriers, so why not establish a company image-based design for a cargo vehicle.....

Frame is being paid for by Smith College this week...will be the model for Cargo attachments for our flatbed model.... and will be used to demonstrate capacity to other potential contracts......UPS AND FEX EX.

We then are off to Georgia Tech in the fall for a chance at 250,000.00 for the World Record Breaking Event.......to achieve controlled and sustained flight in our BIRD design....have it all ready to go.

Then we are finalizing the concept and fabrication complexities for the demonstration of the Eagle for the US Postal System.

It will all work like clockwork, but we must sell our designs as a trade to a willing company that will develop a mutual agreement to mass produce them and sell them overseas......we can only handle the final assembly and N.American routes of distribution, so we are trying to hit it off with HiyBird, and we don't want to be seen as fools for wanting to bring our designs to a worldwide sales market.

My intentions are to offer these at a competitive rate, affordable at an entry level rate, fully stocked and jam packed with parts and components designed for industry specific applications, and are willing to accept that we might be selling ourselves short of the total potential, but find it unacceptable to monopolize my work as well, as we will be evolving these older concepts to a modern and industrial capacity. The attention will be huge and there will be imitations......but if we get a solid hold on a concept, through this proposed expansion, we have a chance to be the leader for years

UK.....I was told by a good friend to skip it, and secure my patents and sell myself...so as not to be ripped off overseas........I responded:

"The only people that I have been robbed by were American's".......so forgive me if I am seeking a more internationally and respected party to represent a worldwide industry.

I will make sure this issue is brought to a close concerning this Polish Model debuted, and will be updating the forum as far as their intentions to mass produce a well known design from our company, and you will be seeing many changes coming to the world of the Work Bike through our design and consultation. We hope to remove their lower end models and replace them with a legitimate association of our company's product line for their online sales network.

You have every right to speak up, and I want you to know that you have raised a flag and was probably right to say something, but please understand that I must continue to expand or face extinction. My work so far is light years ahead, and I want to take it out of the "Custom Organic Groove" and put production into a GO MODE.

Can you forgive me and let this exchange be the justice we are all looking for??

Thread Information