Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Walk Pedicabs

Here are some pictures of the tire. The guys at several different bike shops had never seen a tire like this before. I ended up buying a 27.5x1.95 tire and it fit! I was told that the hook on the rim was way sketchy and that the tire may not hold, but it seems to do ok even with two people sloshing around in the cab. 20150202_143523.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Closeshave View Post
    I was told that the hook on the rim was way sketchy and that the tire may not hold, but it seems to do ok even with two people sloshing around in the cab.
    That sounds hella dodgy! I'd listen to the mechanic and sort some new rims. Got any handy friends who could rebuild new wheels around your existing hubs? It's a reasonably cheap and easy job for someone with the skills.

The hubs are specific to this axle setup. The left axle has a square peg, hub has a square hole and the other wheel hub has large bearings in it (I'm assuming this is to allow for the wheels to spin at different rates when turning). The spokes are huge. I couldn't find a 26" 40 spoke rim. I think I should put a couple of miles on it with these tires and a few buddies in the back, see if everything holds.

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Rjoiner is right just find a good double walled 26 or 24" rim (24" is better cos it won't buckle so much) however the pedicab won't ride as fast. Next find some nice double or triple butted spokes they are thicker so won't bend so much - and build yourself some new wheels - again a mechanic can do this in about 2 hours. Get some schwable marathon plus tires on the beasty on you will minimize flat tirage.

Go hang out and watch a good mechanic for a couple of weeks in exchange for sweeping the floor, making coffee and buying lunch/beer - that's how I got into the game.

Rjoiner nice to hear from you man you been away for a while. How is the off season in Aberdeen - cold eh?

tikki

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

I have just found a 40 hole 26inch rim its here at Sun 40 hole CR-18 590 mm (26 x 1 3/8) Polished - Harris Cyclery bicycle shop - West Newton, Massachusetts if the spokes are too thick you can A. go down to smaller spokes and put a small washer around them at the hub. B. Drill out your rims so that your nipples will fit - this is more common a job than you think on rickshaws as both maximus and maxpro went for a 23" wheel and the tires are hard to find. If you get those 26 inch rims you can put awesome tires on and you flat tire days are over.

Happy Days

Thread Information