Thread: Chain tension

Default Chain tension

Hi,

Ive tried to set-up my new trikes with 3x8 gears, but tension is causing issues!

Is it possible to run a second tensioner to keep the bottom of chain tight? For chain to run from big-big the chain has to be far too long to run bottom ring at front and smaller cogs at back. Major chain slippage.

I sat staring at it for ages last night. Very tempted to ditch the granny-rings and just run 2 gears at the front, but it's like admitting defeat.

Rob

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

What bike do you have - the chain can be very tight in the deraileur when it's in big big unless you have something like a snappy in the middle velocab in which case the uber shite german engineers did not approach zis problem with a brain. Zey have a very long chain at the front zey do!

The ecotaxi has a single chain ring at the front which saves on front gear tuning and parts.

U could run a small piece of pipe no hang on - it wouldn't work cos you would affect the chain line when it shifts - u could however get a skateboard wheel on an M10 bolt with a nylock and then attach it to a piece of metal to the chasis with a spring also attached then the chain would be free to move around - a jockey wheel would affect the chain line too. Um challenge

running big to big or little to little is called cross-chain and it is something the operator has to not do. its an operator thing. in order to set the bike up to not be harmed when someone does the big to big mistake, the chain will be so long as to fall off when they do the other mistake of little to little.
    I run 30/40/50 triples up front and 14-34's on the back of my top end bikes and have done this for years. The operators have to be trained to not cross chain the bikes. if they cannot learn to shift correctly, put them on a rig with stock gearing so they don't hurt the bike.

Hey billy,

All my bikes are now running on a single 42 at the front. The triple was causing issues with riders who couldn't understand not dropping it into low-low etc.

You can try explaining things to folk, but the idea of one of my bikes stranded due to a jumped chain freaked me too much.

Pretty steep city here, so the 32 is mostly nice all-around

Cheers for yer insight!
    Last edited by rjoiner; 28-07-2013 at 14:25.

Thread Information