Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing manufacturers

Default Comparing manufacturers

Starting a new venture from scratch: At this time I will only have enough money to buy one cab, new, or maybe a couple, if previously owned. I have only used a Main Street cab thus far, and looked at a WhyWalk, deciding that the risk of it snapping in half wasn't worth the attractive price.
    Which models do y'all prefer? I'm not against purchasing from England or Germany or someplace else, if it was a reputable company and I could definitely get parts when I needed them. My issue with the Main Street cab is the fiberglass body, I'd prefer a metal body, which (I hope,) would be less easily dinged. The lightweight MaxPro EcoTaxi or X-Hopper (Radkutsche) both look good to me. Any experience with those, y'all? Or other suggestions? I think Main Street and TIPKE are nice, but I'd prefer to avoid the fiberglass body...

The x hopper looks silly, really silly. As for the eco taxi, I have tried a friends a couple of times and I don't find them comfortable at all. I have a Main Street and love it, I think of it as the Cadillac of pedicabs complete with a convertible 'rag top' canopy. If you don't like the fiberglass cabs why not get a Boardwalk? What ever ya do, don't get a cheap Chinese made bike.
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

I certainly love my Velocabs and would thoroughly recommend them. The trike/cab is easy to separate for transport and all the drive-parts easy to obtain from a local bike shop.

We were also very interested the the Ecotaxi as the new price seems very reasonable, but went with the Velocabs as they seem incredibly solid and look brilliant (in my opinion )

If you are in the states i guess shipping one of these rigs over could be pretty expensive. Maybe worth checking out before considering a European bike, although maybe some roll about the bigger cities

Hope you find the ideal rickshaw for you!

Rob

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Default The choice is yours

I would seriously go for the ecotaxi.

I understand why guys like the mainstreets - they are faster and lighter but the 26" wheels need to be trued up every 2 weeks and the rear disc brake is on the diff not next to the hubs of the rear wheels. Also the fiberglass can get pretty beat up but you are in the US and thats gonna be your cheapest option.

The ecotaxi has motorbike parts and tandem bike parts all over it - the chain is not too long no frames have ever bent and they have a cool spares shop.

The maximus is a little heavier but it is better engineered than the ecotaxi and the front wheel is small which gives it a kick-ass turning circle. They are not currently in production but reliable rickshaws here in London have 2 for sale which have been reconditioned - they look amazing.

The kpm which bug bug use are a nice looking bike but again like the main street they use 26 inch wheels - they had a major accident when one of their rear wheels folded at speed around a corner - think the rider was put in hospital and the passengers really hurt. I think they may have increased the size of the hub and used thicker spokes since - but its a lesson to learn. However here in London we tend to rent bikes to anybody and they generally get little training. I guess if you know how to ride and maintain your ride you can probably get round some of these issues.

Rob really likes the velotaxi - send us some photos mate - I agree they look cool but I think the chain is too long.

The CC1 velocabs are a total joke - far too heavy and too low to the ground - its very intimidating to ride them at night.

We have copies of all of these but they are shoddy, wobbly and constantly in the repairs shop.

Streetfighter also make a bike in Poland but its a bad ugly beast - light tho.

Good luck with it all dude. I started off with maximus and I bought some cheap chinese knock offs along the way (only do this if you or your friends can weld) and now Im with the ecotaxi.

The choice is yours - tikki tikki

I understand why guys like the mainstreets - they are faster and lighter but the 26" wheels need to be trued up every 2 weeks
    Huh? I true mine once a year and I ride mine like I stole it.
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

So, I ended up buying my old company's three cabs. They are Main Streets, but we all have to start someplace. Thanks for the input, guys. Now I need to figure out how you do all the legal crap….

Has anyone driven the Christiania bikes taxi? They're small, 2-passenger, with the driver behind. taxi

Yes, they are not good for a pedicab business. The LPOA in London will not admit you if you use this bike on grounds of safety, they are also uninsurable - the weight is all wrong. If the guys stand up (which they often do after a few bevvies) or if you brake too hard in them then the driver goes over the top and lands on the passengers - seriously buy a pedicab

Maxpro Ecotaxi by H7 Engineering make the most affordable, reliable and strongest pedicab and have a shop for parts and after sales support. You can get a good second hand one from London for about £1700 and as soon as they ban them in London the price will collapse - there are about 300 Ecotaxis in London.

Quote Originally Posted by TikkiTikki View Post
    The kpm which bug bug use are a nice looking bike but again like the main street they use 26 inch wheels - they had a major accident when one of their rear wheels folded at speed around a corner - think the rider was put in hospital and the passengers really hurt.
    I see tiktik works like the LTDA, is full of mushroom food (sh*t). The accident we had was due to the rider losing control on an uneven surface, all three passengers were unhurt (as they had the seatbelt on!) and the wheel had 20mm bend on one side, was cycled home by myself. The 2nd accident, was not a pedicab owned by us (though same type), all three passengers walked away AND that after the pedicab was hit by a car at 30mph, the KM was cycled home by his friend, though the rear right took a huge hit but was fixed and working after a 2 days work

Plus, I've never (in 15 years) seen a Mainstreet or ours 'fold' but I do see each month an ecoTaxi wheel and a few Maximus ones XXX

PLEASE KEEP TO FACTS not fiction ...... Mr TikTik, sounds like you are still grinding an ax for being 'special'

Quote Originally Posted by tdayuk View Post
    The accident we had was due to the rider losing control on an uneven surface,
    and Mr BuBu is calling me special.

How uneven was the surface - how long was Maria in hospital?

The facts are thus; a 26" wheel is less strong than a 23" wheel

A 20mm bend is very difficult to measure

I have sat and watched Mr BuBu spend 5 hours changing a rotor not realising that his axle was bent - how many bent axles you seen on a Maxpro?

Mr BuBu you are the clown
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 21-02-2015 at 20:44.

Thread Information