Thread: Anybody recognize this pedicab? Rear brake sourcing question

Default Anybody recognize this pedicab? Rear brake sourcing question

My friend has this pedicab with no manufacturer logo on it anywhere. We're trying to source some rear brake parts and I don't even know where to begin.
    IMG_0445.jpg

Here's a picture of the rear axle and brake rotor.
    IMG_0452.jpg
    I assume that the plate steel bracket next to the rotor is some sort of caliper mount, but I have no idea what kind of caliper might go on there. I may be able to fabricate an adaptor that would fit a motorcycle or atv caliper, but if there's something off the shelf that I don't know about, I'd rather go that route.

There's a rotor on each side of the axle. There's a hydraulic line still zip-tied to the frame of the cab and there's a simple brass splitter that allows both calipers to driven by a single lever

Are pedicab hydraulic brakes proprietary or are they borrowed from another application (atv, motorcycle)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Trevor

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Good question dude.

That bike is a TIPKE, there were 60 brought to Vancouver for the expo in 86, then they got sold to Vancouver Island where they were dissolved and replaced by mainstreet.

Most of the modern pedicabs use big magura's designed for quad bikes however I do not recommend them for that.

Go talk to a motorbike shop and get 2 cheap dual-pot calipers that fit the diameter of that rotor. I wouldn't bother splitting them simply have one lever for back left and one for back right. You can attach a handbrake to the front wheel if you want but you will have 3 levers.

If the new caliper does not match up to the holes on the mount (the drop-out) then simply weld a new piece of steel over it. However drill it before you weld it. Don't weld with the caliper attached as you will burn the rubbers. If you are not excellent at welding find some one who is cos it needs to be straight. Then when it is all lined up you may have to shim the caliper i.e. put some small washers between the new dropout and the brake caliper on the bolts. This will move the caliper into a position that allows the rotor to free spin.

I would also sand those rotors back to a nice clean steel.

Please ask if this doesn't make sense

Thank you, that's really helpful!

Trevor

i believe that is a Kabuki Kab, made in Victoria BC Canada. I had seven of them once upon a time. 1/4" keyway on the axle, full floating rotor.

calipers were from AirHeart. great big things they were. pain in the ass they were. but man when they were working and not spewing fluid they were very good at stopping a big heavy rig no matter how much you had on it.

im pretty sure there are no more parts for those . its a piece of cake to swap over to Maguras.

Thread Information