Thread: Subframe replacement?

Default Subframe replacement?

Hello, I recently bought a used Mainstreet pedicab. It looks great on the outside, but unfortunately I'm beginning to discover a couple problems and was hoping for a little advice or assistance.

The most significant problem I'm having is a pretty severe bend in the subframe on the starboard side right where it connects to the main frame of the pedicab under the bench. Bad enough that the middle bolt can't be inserted, and might not be safe to load a bunch of people on.

I checked out mainstreet's website and it shows the only way to get the subframe is to buy the whole fiberglass body, but my fiberglass body is fine so I'd rather not drop 1400 when I just need a couple pieces of steel. I tried emailing MSP but haven't received any answer from them.

Should I try a metal fabricator and see if I can get it bent back, or possibly have a new one made? Is there anyone else selling these parts?

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

First of all i'll try not to rub it in but why would you buy a bike with a bent frame? - did you not pick it up and spin the wheels around or get a magnify glass on the subframe.

The new frame above costs $1250 from wheelgoods.com that is the parts shop for mainstreets. The classic is a 2 seater, the broadway is the 3 seater.
    You see the four bearing holders at the back - if the frame is bent where you are describing it means that those 'dropouts' or bearing holders will not be aligned. If they are not aligned then your pedicab is a write off. Just go now and pick up the bike and spin the back right wheel - does it free spin for at least 30 seconds - do the other side does that free spin? This is what you should be looking for. The free spin defines the quality of the bike this is what you should be doing when you buy a pedicab. The axle has 2 half shafts that go into the dif - the silver box in the middle - if they are not straight your bike will be as heavy as a truck.

Now back to your problem - I have seen mechanics straighten frames on pedicabs. However as you know absolutely nothing about pedicabs as is obvious from your mistake, I suggest you take it to a bodywork car garage, or a metalshop. They may be skilled enough to straighten your problem. If they can't then that price above does not include tax or delivery.

Good luck - do not ride it without the chasis bolt in place - you will hurt someone and hurt our industry.

It has a bent subframe. The frame is fine.

Got ahold of MSP and they were very helpful. Apparently they don't list replacement subframes on their website, but you can order a replacement for $105 plus shipping- worth every penny.

I've ridden pedicabs for about 4-5 years now, but I'm moving back to Oakland where there are no companies I can rent from. I love the job, and have a lot of respect for the idea of not killing my passengers or being entangled in lawsuits. You can probably dispel that idea that I'm going to be riding around with bolts missing.

I feel pretty comfortable using a wrench or allen key (not so much with metal work), but I'm not too proud (or cheap) to seek help from someone more experienced when i need it.

I mean, it's not like I asked "hey, can I just duct tape the fiberglass to the frame?".

--- sorry, double posted ---
    Last edited by avancurran; 17-10-2014 at 19:30.

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Sorry there dude, I thought you meant the frame - you mean there is a bend in the body of the pedicab - gottcha.

Good to hear you love the job - me too.

Quote Originally Posted by avancurran View Post

I mean, it's not like I asked "hey, can I just duct tape the fiberglass to the frame?".
    In London they wrap 6 large zip ties around the body and secure it to the frame when the dampers fail - they only fail on the speedy cab which is a bad Turkish copy of the Ecotaxi.

Tikki Tikki

Thread Information