Thread: Main Street rear wheel stuck to axle

Default Main Street rear wheel stuck to axle

I'm changing the axles on a used cab. I went to remove the wheels and only one wheel came off. The other would not budge.

Eventually I got fed up, opened up the differential, and pulled out whole axle, bearings, and collars through the side of the dropout.

I was able to tap the bearings and collars off the axle on the opposite side of the wheel, but my wheel is still stuck fast on the end of the axle.

I've tried lubing it up and giving the hub a few solid smacks, but it won't budge. Had my friend try and he wailed on it hard enough to bust my rubber mallet in half, but nothing.

Any magic to be worked here? I'm completely at a loss. I can't imagine why it would be so stuck.

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Its stuck because the guy who owned the bike before you didn't put grease on the axle every time he took the wheel off.

Anyway your problem is very common however you should not have taken the half shaft off.

First spray around the hub with WD40 and leave it to soak for 24hours.
    Then go buy this tool its called a spider puller. Most car mechanics have them for gearboxes. If this does not budge the beasty you will need to use a blowtorch at the same time as adding torque to this tool. That'll be a two man job. When you get it off (don't lose you little key rod thing that mainstreet use - very bad), put lots of grease on the axle before you put it back on.

Hope that helps dude

tikki

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by avancurran View Post
    I'm changing the axles on a used cab.
    But here's the thing Avan - why would you change the axles - like seriously why? Have they snapped in half? Are they bent? Why?

You're the dude who said he had a bent body right - i'm guessing it was probably bent because your bike had a side impact right? So are your half shafts bent too? Is your frame bent as well? Or are you experiencing a lack of free spin because you have over-tightened the axle bolts and the rotor is rubbing on the pads?

Good luck with that dude

harbor freight sells several gear pullers that will work to get the hub off the axle. I use the one that looks like a flat plate cut in half. works like a charm, takes longer to set it up than it does to use it.
    the plate style does less damage to the hub than does the three finger style.

as to what happens; what i have found is , in no particular order
    1) axle nut is over tightened and it crushes the aluminum hub onto the axle. using a round file after you get it loose will be just fine. however you will also have to use a small square file to clean out the keyway notch also. it will be crushed as well.

2) hard accelerations/ hard decelerations. if you got riders who slam on the brakes and who love to snap the passengers heads back on take off then the edges of the keyway on the axle will flare up and that will cause the hub to wedge to the axle.
    its standard practice around here to dress up the axle withe a file right along the key way every time a wheel comes off.

As TikTik explained a spider puller is a good tool but handle with care, as many a hub gets destroyed. If WD40 does not do the trick, a 2nd option is to unscrew 4x spooks, enough to fit in a drill and bit, then to drill a small hole into the horizontal part of the hub, all the way to the axel.
    You then heat the hub with a blow torch till she's very hot, then add some mineral oil or brake fluid into the drilled hole and use the spider to slowly ease the hub off.

Thread Information