Thread: Hi from New Zealand

Default Hi from New Zealand

Hi, I have been lurking on the forum for awhile, thought I should introduce myself…
    I bought a rickshaw in Dunedin last month and am starting a very small guide business. I live at the Port and we get 80 cruise ships a year. My plan is to take them the kilometer or so from Port to the historic pub in the next bay, all on the flat. I'll try to post a pic, but this is a big old beast and I know it. Other Kiwis in the North Island have posted here about the availability of newer pedicabs, it is what it is…
    Anyway, I enjoy reading your posts, and learning as much as I can :-)IMG_20150324_154340.jpgIMG_20150324_154255.jpgIMG_20150324_154340.jpgIMG_20150324_154255.jpg

Welcome to this forum! Cruise ships are a good biz!!!!

Good luck!
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Why didn't you call your company "The world's slowest Indian - Rickshaw company" for all those history of engineering tourists who pass through your town?

On the subject of engineering - your bike has no brakes. All I can see is a leather strap pull device which will snap. Type in 'Seattle pedicab crash' into google images and you will see the mangled remains of your bike in the street where 2 people died. This is why licensing is so brutal in this part of the world. Still it wouldn't be hard to retrofit a big fat disc brake to the front wheel - Change your front hub for a disc brake hub and get an hydraulic disc brake caliper - bolt the caliper to a rectangle of steel and weld the steel on to the fork - it is very easy (take the caliper off when you weld as the heat will melt the seals), - all car mechanics can weld for pennies - you can fine adjust the caliper position with shim washers just get the rectangle straight on the fork.

You can contact Tim at Bikerman pedicabs in Auckland he has my old fleet of 6 maximus and 6 mainstreets - he also purchased BAXI from Wellywood and 2 bikes that I helped build with the real Burt Monro - The reaper and The hummer - he live in H town but I can private message you his email if you r stuck. Tim has 19 cabs I think he also bought some Chinese maximus from a guy called Rory who tried in Welly - he might be up for letting one go.

Good luck with the business, I have to say I don't ever have any luck with tourists - mostly just drunk locals - try not to kill anyone eh. You can do it!

Thanks for your message and the contact info! I spoke with the guy who set up Baxi before I bought the bike, will try to get in touch with the other fellas. The bike has a band brake, no leather that I can see. The disc break is definitely in our future! Cruise season is over and starts back up in Nov, so I have a while to get sorted. I really appreciate the advice, am going to try to do as much myself as possible. I don't think I'll look at expanding the business until I see how successful the one bike is, I'll let you know how we get on!
    One thing I forgot to ask… I noticed most of you are dudes, not many women out there??
    Kari

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Actually - it would be easier to just change the forks and front wheel eh!

Thanks for the advice! I am wary of puting a disc break at the front, won't that put too much stress on the fork? I am looking at options for the rear, does anyone use drum brakes? Cruise ship season is finished now, starts up in Oct, so I have the winter to get sorted…

Thread Information