Thread: Buy and replace a rear wheel on a Cycles Maximus Pedicab

Default Buy and replace a rear wheel on a Cycles Maximus Pedicab

Hi,

Is there anybody that can help me with the replacement of a rear wheel on a Cycles Maximus pedicab?

1) How do I get the wheel off the axle?

2) Where can I buy a replacement rear wheel? Are there wheels I can buy on the market? Are there any specific good brands? Could I use a maxpro wheel for this trike?

3) Are there any manuals for maintaining this pedicabs? Or do all you guys go to bicycle repair centers?

Thanks!

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hey bud,,

Good questions please see my post 'how to change a wheel on a cycles maximus pedicab'- you will need a circlip (sir-clip) tool to take out that little circlip that is on the end of the axle in the hub- try not to bend the circlip as it comes out and watch that it doesn't snap and shoot into your eye.

Then you will need an extra long 8mm or 10mm (cant remember), spanner - extra long makes the job quicker. Some people take the carriage off the frame to make this job easier but I find if you lean the bike up against the wall you can sit under the bike.

Loosen the bolts on the inside of the hub one little turn at a time. Do 3 turns on 1 bolt then move on to the next bolt. If you are not good with a spanner take your time as you dont want to damage the heads of the bolt. The first time you do this job it takes a long time but when you get good it can be done in 10 minutes. Turn the bolts to the left to loosen them!!!! The wheel will come off when all these bolts come out and they won't come out one by one, they all have to be loosened equally if you get what I mean. Good luck bud its a fun job.

This is the major downfall of the maximus - it is over engineered - its a very strong bike. You cant use Maxpro parts as the hubs are different - rims and spokes are the same though - I actually drilled out some 24" rims and put washers on the spokes so that I could buy off the shelf parts for my Australian bikes as delivery out there took ages.

Maximus still sell spare parts but they are slow - talk to them or there is a guy called John who owns a couple in London and always has spares - he owns Reliable Rickshaws in London maybe phone Fred at bug bug pedicabs to get his number.

I have also written a training and mechanic manual for a cycle maximus when I sold mine in Australia if you send me your email address I will email it to you

Happy Days
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 07-08-2016 at 00:11. Reason: Added link

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

GentleThursday (15-02-2016), JackieX (16-11-2015)

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

I got indeed the cir clip out, then I saw a hole in the hub where I put an Allen key in and turned and something came up. So I thought, maybe that's it. But then it didn't got lose, so I released the 2 bolds that hold together some kind of bearing and the "splash board". But still, no movement in loosening the wheel. I'll try again within some days.

About a new wheel, I've send an email to Tom (ex cycle maximus, new startup of cycles maximus) for some info & spair part.

If it's too difficult to find spear rear wheel, I think a good cycle repair shop can do the trick? Even if it would be holding on to the hub and putting new spokes in it and a rim.

A manual would be very
    helpful! Would be wonderful if you send it to me. Email: nightshifta at hotmail.com

Have a nice day!

Pieter.

Last edited by TikkiTikki; 17-11-2015 at 01:47. Reason: spam bots

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

I got indeed the cir clip out, then I saw a hole in the hub where I put an Allen key in and turned and something came up. So I thought, maybe that's it. But then it didn't got lose, so I released the 2 bolds that hold together some kind of bearing and the "splash board". But still, no movement in loosening the wheel. I'll try again within some days.

About a new wheel, I've send an email to Tom (ex cycle maximus, new startup of cycles maximus) for some info & spair part.

If it's too difficult to find spear rear wheel, I think a good cycle repair shop can do the trick? Even if it would be holding on to the hub and putting new spokes in it and a rim.

A manual would be very
    helpful! Would be wonderful if you send it to me. Email: nightshifta at hotmail.com

Have a nice day!

Pieter.
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 17-11-2015 at 01:46. Reason: spam filters

Hey so you dont't put an allen key in there, you put a slide hammer in there, like a reverse pull hammer. Don't undo the bearing cups as this will remove the axle shaft from the chasis. There are six bolts as seen below at the back of the hub that need undoing with an 8mm spanner
    maximus wheel off.jpg
    In terms of a spare wheel you can use maxpro rim and spokes - really fast customer service and shipping - contact Andrew tell him Russ from tikki tikki sent you (maybe he'll give you a discount. You just use the hub thats already on the bike. If you cant build a wheel then take it to a motorbike shop not a bike shop. Bike shops have tools for bike parts. Bikes have really thin spokes and spoke keys. They will not be able to mount the wheel in their truing stands because the hub is hollow - they will not be able to work out how to do this and their little brains will explode! Generally, (no offence) but cycle shop mechanics will be useless when it comes to pedicabs - don't waste your time. You can even buy spares like chains and lube at half the price online. A good motorbike mechanic will know how to build the moped wheels that pedicabs use and because they work on engines they will be able to figure out how to mount your wheel to a truing stand.

I have also emailed you the rest of the handbook I wrote for the maximus

Please feel free to ask any more questions, its a pleasure to help you get on the road safely!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 17-11-2015 at 03:32. Reason: better pictures added

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

GentleThursday (15-02-2016)

Hi TikkiTikki, would you share your Cycles Maximus handbook with me? My email is pedicab at fireflyclass.net. I've been working a lot on my axles over the past few months and am curious to see your approach. Do you know of a source for the half axles used by the Maximus? I have an old frame that is stripped its parts and am thinking about building it back up as a cargo trike. I have three Maximus cabs running in my fleet, and a Main Street. --Patricia

Hi there Patricia,

I emailed it across - good luck. I'd love to see some photos of your fleet on the forum.

I have seen some bad copies of axles flying around london. Try emailing bug bug bikes he doesn't have any but he runs a base where lots of people do. He is the special moderator on the forum Mr TodayUK. Ask him for John's number or Maria's or Massimo. They all have Maximus bikes in their fleets. In fact Massimo was on the forum with axles for sale about a month ago. Do a search of the forum for axles. Also you could try Edinburgh. They has loads of Maximus bikes up there, check with those companies as well (google search).

Best of luck
    Tikki Tikki

Thread Information