Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Spokes , noise from axle maximus cycles

Default Broken Spokes , noise from axle maximus cycles

Hello every body ,
    my first post at forum it's for help at suggestions
    So i live at Strasbourg and i also work with a maxximus pedicab 6 months ago , i bought it used second hand but mow i have little problems

1. two spokes at rear wheel it's broken , could i replaced myself without needed truind the wheel ?

2. some time not always , i heard an keen and annoying noise like tak tak tak when i pedal from backside even with or without clients- load , i supposed that coming from the axle or from the bearing lock rings , sometimes if i stopped for a while and restart disapear ,any suggestions infos or anything that could be help

i would like to thank you very much for advance

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hey man,

First yes replace the spokes - they stop the customers falling out the side of the thing. You may have to take the wheel off to get to the spokes nearest the hub it's a big job, I have a training manual I can send you for the maximus if you r unsure.

Secondly, I had the same problem on a maximus with that strange noise. Its one of the bearings - it will have become worn over time - notice it stops in the rain? You'll need to replace the bearings. Its a huge job on the maximus and you will need some exciting new tools like a circlip tool, a slide hammer and a lot of patience. You have to split the diff to get at them. When my bearings get old, I cut them off with an angle grinder but you have to be quite skilled with one as to not damage the axle shaft. As a quick fix you could unload half a can of lube into the side of the bearing house (make sure you dry off any excess so as to not get oil near the brakes.

The ecotaxi is way better designed in this regards as the wheel come of in 30 seconds and the half shafts are divided.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

herrison (09-05-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TikkiTikki View Post
    Hey man,

First yes replace the spokes - they stop the customers falling out the side of the thing. You may have to take the wheel off to get to the spokes nearest the hub it's a big job, I have a training manual I can send you for the maximus if you r unsure.

Secondly, I had the same problem on a maximus with that strange noise. Its one of the bearings - it will have become worn over time - notice it stops in the rain? You'll need to replace the bearings. Its a huge job on the maximus and you will need some exciting new tools like a circlip tool, a slide hammer and a lot of patience. You have to split the diff to get at them. When my bearings get old, I cut them off with an angle grinder but you have to be quite skilled with one as to not damage the axle shaft. As a quick fix you could unload half a can of lube into the side of the bearing house (make sure you dry off any excess so as to not get oil near the brakes.

The ecotaxi is way better designed in this regards as the wheel come of in 30 seconds and the half shafts are divided.

Good luck
    Helo again TIKKI Tikki ,
    firts of all i would like o thank you for the immediately reply , i really appreciate if you could sent my your manual , i will sent you my email via pm
    so i attached at some photos if you or someone else could give the opinion , i relly hope that the noise coming from the bearings and not from a damaged axle , beacause at this case ....

When it's rainning to be honnestly i don't work beause nobody want the pedicab so i prefer to stay home ,no money with rain , but 2 or 3 times if i remebered well it's stop as you say .
    2016-05-04 10.57.37.jpg2016-05-04 10.57.44.jpg2016-05-04 10.57.58.jpg2016-05-04 10.58.06.jpg2016-05-04 10.57.37.jpg2016-05-04 10.57.44.jpg2016-05-04 10.57.58.jpg2016-05-04 10.58.06.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to herrison For This Useful Post:

TikkiTikki (09-05-2016)

Hey bud I emailed you the mechanics handbook. Its probably not the axle. It could be inside the diff. There are circlips that hold the gears on inside the diff. Sometimes the ends of the circlips break off and can rattle around in there. When you open up the diff take a marker pen and draw a line across it so its easier to get back together - dont over tighten the bolts as they can snap. The other obvious thing I can think of is sometimes the brake pads have warning dimples on them that knock against the disc to tell you its time to change them, but I guess you will have probably already looked there. If you are gonna do the bearings remember take your time getting the wheel bolts off. Get an extra long 8mm spanner and dont round the edges off on the bolts in a rush. If the bearings are stuck on fast take the angel grinder and cut off the outer shell then place it flat to the axle and grind down the inner bit until its thin enough to hit with a metal hammer - it should shatter off - this way you avoid grinding into the axle. Put some good quality grease back in the diff and you should get another 10 years out of her. Get German bearings not the cheaper Chinese ones.

Feel free to ask any more questions - its a really big job the first time you do it. Maybe take you a couple of days.

Russ - Tikki Tikki

Hey man,

Did you fix it?

Tikki Tikki

hey Russ how are you buddy ?i'm sosorry for my delay reply but i was so bussy !!!
    so the news , maybe the bad news ( i don't know yet...) for the noise it's disappeared itself heheehe maybe i was lucky but for the spokes almost the last wekkend i tryed to replace the spokes that i bought from maxpro and the big suprise they didn't get- install in the hole of hube.......??????!!!!!!!!!! at maxpro's site they saidabout M3 thikness (3mm?) maybe must bought 2,5 mm

No worries buddy - it is not a problem in fact it is very common and easy to fix. Go to the hardware store and get a drill the same size as the spoke nipple and end - then drill it out. Do just one first to see if it fits - they are really hard to lace up so if you cant do it, a motorbike mechanic probably can.

If you drill the holes too big you can use a little washer around the end to hold it in place. If the spoke sticks out a bit below the rim tape, get an angle grinder and grind it off a bit - easy just watch your fingers!!

Good luck brother man!

Quote Originally Posted by TikkiTikki View Post
    No worries buddy - it is not a problem in fact it is very common and easy to fix. Go to the hardware store and get a drill the same size as the spoke nipple and end - then drill it out. Do just one first to see if it fits - they are really hard to lace up so if you cant do it, a motorbike mechanic probably can.

If you drill the holes too big you can use a little washer around the end to hold it in place. If the spoke sticks out a bit below the rim tape, get an angle grinder and grind it off a bit - easy just watch your fingers!!

Good luck brother man!
    for one more time i would like to thank you really much buddy !!!! :-)
    just i little clarification beause i didn't understand very well , my problem is that the spokes didn't passed from the hole at the hub ,it looks like the hole hub it's to small for the spokes , you said to drill it at hub , that's right ? not at the rim :-) :-)
    oh buddy if it's so easy you save my life :-) :-)

Yeah you can drill the hub a few mm. As long as it is not too close to the edge - if its a maximus hub it should be ok. Like I said just test one first. The drill bit should be about the same size as the spoke. You can always move the drill around in circles to open it up a bit.

You are right it is an easy job because the drill bit already fits into the hole. As long as the drill bit is not too big, it should work well.

You can make friends with your local CNC machine shop if you do break the hub!!!

You can also drill the rim too!
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 14-06-2016 at 02:57. Reason: forgot to tell you about my rim

Hi tikki tikki could you please send me a copy of the manual for the maximus my email is grahamstanton20(at)gmail.com. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 30-06-2016 at 18:40. Reason: Spambots will detect your email address

Thread Information