Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Spokes , noise from axle maximus cycles

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hi Graham welcome to the forum. I'd love to send you the handbook. You can also check out this useful guide on my website how to change a cycles maximus wheel

Would you mind telling me a little bit about your operation.
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 07-08-2016 at 00:05. Reason: Link to website added

Default Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by TikkiTikki View Post
    Hi Graham welcome to the forum. I'd love to send you the handbook. Would you mind telling me a little bit about your operation. It's good advertising for your business.
    Hi tikki tikki
    i don't run rickshaws as a business, I bought a Prometheus rickshaw second hand for my 12 year old learning difficulty grandson for him to take us to the local pool hall. The rickshaw was very popular with the members. After a while the other members were asking my grandson to nip them to the local shop or the cash machine, he loved it , also making a bit of pocket money as well.

The rickshaw needed some tyres and whilst trying to take the wheel of I broke the hub trying to pull it of with hub pullers. I know how to take it of now after reading your excellent post.
    The prometheus I was told by the previouse owner uses the same wheels as the cycles maximus and is a copy of it. Both rear wheels need replacing or at least rebuilding with one needing a new hub.
    My grandson loves it but I can't afford nearly £600 for new wheels from cycles maximus . Could you help out with any information as to what wheels will fit this rickshaw or where I can get hubs and spokes from please. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 01-07-2016 at 18:50.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gstanny For This Useful Post:

TikkiTikki (01-07-2016)

Hi Graham

Wow, that sounds awesome, I wish my Granddad had bought me a pedicab when I was a lad. Good on you.

Anyway, it sounds like a bit of a mess. Unfortunately all pedicabs are quite unique, they are not really mass produced things and as such they have there own unique parts. Maximus wheels are unique, prometheus just used them. The one good lead I have (Friedal from Bug Bugs) has just gone out of buusiness. He ran a pedicab garage with loads of spares, he is a real loss for the industry. You can track him down on this forum, he is called TDayUK, or you could try his social media pages - facebook BugBugs but I think he has washed his hands of the industry.

I guess you have emailed maximus http://www.cyclesmaximus.com/parts.htm Failing them, a break away company called Iceni trikes http://www.icenicycles.co.uk/iceni-c...unique-trikes/ makes trikes in Britain, they are ex-maximus engineers and might be using the same hub - I cannot tell from the photos, best ask them. There is Revolution Rickshaws in NYC http://revolutionrickshaws.com/ they use maximus and the exchange rate is pretty good. Failing all that, you might take the hub to a CNC shop and ask them to copy it. Actually a lot of companies in Amsterdam use Maximus and I think there is a large fleet in Denmark too. The hub is not really a part fleet owners would want to sell, as they are as rare as chicken teeth. The prometheus was never a successful fleet bike and was generally owned by fresh of the boat Eastern Europeans who didnt really care for them. Tracking down another one would be a waste of time. U can get spokes made at motorbike shops, or you can buy them from Ecotaxi Maxpro. But it might be best to go and make friends with some machine shop dudes. They make parts all day long, it wouldn't be hard for them to copy. They only need a lathe, a drill and a tap and die tool. Either way its gonna cost a few quid.

I will email you the handbook now but I don't think it will be of much use. Good luck and I would love to see some photos of the beast!

Yeah you can drill the hub a few mm. As long as it is not too close to the edge - if its a maximus hub it should be ok. Like I said just test one first. The drill bit should be about the same size as the spoke. You can always move the drill around in circles to open it up a bit.

You are right it is an easy job because the drill bit already fits into the hole. As long as the drill bit is not too big, it should work well.

You can make friends with your local CNC machine shop if you do break the hub!!!

You can also drill the rim too!
    hello everybudy and especially Russ !!!

it's a long time ago that i didn't wrote here , and i didn't published the news and the progres of my rickshaw .

So after my last post here i went to a motorbiek shop and replaced the broken spokes easilly and very cheap , about 10 euros , but !!!!! after a month ago the noise that i heard reappeared unfortunatelly :-( :-( i came back from vacations now , and i visited a local bike shop here , i saw that the right wheel is buckled , and it missed the cir clip ( i'm sorry for the terms , i don't know if i said well ) . They said to me that the noise and the buckled wheel coming from absence of cir clip at the hub of rear wheel !!!!!

what are you thinking about it ? i'm a lot tired with that history and now i can't work beacause the noise is very annoying for me the clients and the environment :-)

would you believe that i could found easilly these piece ? where ? only at maximus shop ? !!!!

thank again !!!!

Hi Herrison,

It sounds like you are having a headache. Please read this post on my website how to change a cycles maximus pedicab wheel. It will show you the tools you need to replace the circlip. If you take the circlip to a hardware store they should be able to get you another one. Car mechanics will also have them or they can order them as they are used in gearboxes.

You can true the wheel easily by turning the spoke nipples. Please watch a video on youtube to find out how to do it. With a pedicab you can tie a cable tie around the frame and cut it so that the cable tie lines up with the wheel - this will guide you to where the buckle is. Spin the wheel, line up the cable tie and cut the cable tie so that you have a makeshift truing stand, the end of the cable tie will show you where the buckle is. Tighten the two spokes on the outerside of the buckle to pull it out. Tighten the two spokes on the inside of the wheel to pull it in. Its very easy after you try it a few times.

Finally, I think your noise is coming from an old bearing. The bearings get worn over time and need to be replaced. You have to open the differential to remove the two half shafts. (Two half shafts = one axle). Next slide the bearings off and put new ones on. (very difficult as the bearings will be corroded on). The bearings have 'bearing collars' on them that have little grub/set screws in them (allen key). You then knock the collars 45 degrees with a hammer and chisel using the other hole on the collar - they turn in the same direction as a screw thread, left is lose right is tight. I simply grind mine off with an angle grinder but you need some skill as you don't want to damage the half shafts.

I personally really don't think it is the circlip. The axle nut and 6 hub bolts hold the wheel in place very tightly (is the wheel wobbly on the axle? I dont think so)- the circlip is just the over engineering of the maximus. (It's the best bike to ride and the worst bike to work on!)

I think it is an old bearing. Changing the bearings is a huge job for a novice and if can't get the bearings off the shaft - take it to a car mechanic (don't go to a bike shop - seriously stop going to bike mechanics they know nothing about pedicabs), they have bearing/gear pulling tools and angle grinders - it will take them about 5 minutes. Putting the diff back together is very tricky so before you open it up, mark a line across the casing with a marker pen so u can see how it fits back together. Also get two adjustable axle stands or car jacks so you can hold the frame in place whilst reconnecting the bearing cups. Take photos of the position of the bearing cups before you undo them - some sit on the outside of the dropout and some sit on the inside of the dropout - honestly take photos of everything before you undo it.

Also when you look inside the diff there are four cogs. Two are on an axle (photograph them). Two are held on by circlips to the half shafts - make sure they haven't snapped off and floating around in the grease (that could cause the noise). The best mechanics would remove all the grease with 'white spirit' and clean it with a toothbrush before adding fresh grease when it comes to reassembly. You will need some latex gloves!

Best of luck - I can talk you through step by step if you want.

Russ
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 18-08-2016 at 01:41. Reason: added links

Hi Herrison,

It sounds like you are having a headache. Please read this post on my website how to change a cycles maximus pedicab wheel. It will show you the tools you need to replace the circlip. If you take the circlip to a hardware store they should be able to get you another one. Car mechanics will also have them or they can order them as they are used in gearboxes.

You can true the wheel easily by turning the spoke nipples. Please watch a video on youtube to find out how to do it. With a pedicab you can tie a cable tie around the frame and cut it so that the cable tie lines up with the wheel - this will guide you to where the buckle is. Spin the wheel, line up the cable tie and cut the cable tie so that you have a makeshift truing stand, the end of the cable tie will show you where the buckle is. Tighten the two spokes on the outerside of the buckle to pull it out. Tighten the two spokes on the inside of the wheel to pull it in. Its very easy after you try it a few times.

Finally, I think your noise is coming from an old bearing. The bearings get worn over time and need to be replaced. You have to open the differential to remove the two half shafts. (Two half shafts = one axle). Next slide the bearings off and put new ones on. (very difficult as the bearings will be corroded on). The bearings have 'bearing collars' on them that have little grub/set screws in them (allen key). You then knock the collars 45 degrees with a hammer and chisel using the other hole on the collar - they turn in the same direction as a screw thread, left is lose right is tight. I simply grind mine off with an angle grinder but you need some skill as you don't want to damage the half shafts.

I personally really don't think it is the circlip. The axle nut and 6 hub bolts hold the wheel in place very tightly (is the wheel wobbly on the axle? I dont think so)- the circlip is just the over engineering of the maximus. (It's the best bike to ride and the worst bike to work on!)

I think it is an old bearing. Changing the bearings is a huge job for a novice and if can't get the bearings off the shaft - take it to a car mechanic (don't go to a bike shop - seriously stop going to bike mechanics they know nothing about pedicabs), they have bearing/gear pulling tools and angle grinders - it will take them about 5 minutes. Putting the diff back together is very tricky so before you open it up, mark a line across the casing with a marker pen so u can see how it fits back together. Also get two adjustable axle stands or car jacks so you can hold the frame in place whilst reconnecting the bearing cups. Take photos of the position of the bearing cups before you undo them - some sit on the outside of the dropout and some sit on the inside of the dropout - honestly take photos of everything before you undo it.

Also when you look inside the diff there are four cogs. Two are on an axle (photograph them). Two are held on by circlips to the half shafts - make sure they haven't snapped off and floating around in the grease (that could cause the noise). The best mechanics would remove all the grease with 'white spirit' and clean it with a toothbrush before adding fresh grease when it comes to reassembly. You will need some latex gloves!

Best of luck - I can talk you through step by step if you want.

Russ
    Hey Russ ,

i have a headache men !!! fist of all i would like to thank you for your reply always very expicable :-) ;-)

i will post these days same fotos of my back wheel to explain well my plobleme . i saw your post at your website , but i believe that we have a little different system to change the wheel . At the moment when i look the rear right wheel i seen directly the axle nut , nothing else , at the left side it's ok . For this reason i am thinking that the bucked of the wheel (and the noise) it's beause the absense of a piece over there !! It's possible ? untill now , as long as i read the official manuel i thought that the axle and the wheel installed with the small hub bolts at the same time as we installed the brake disk....

The noise i'm 99% sure that coming from bearings or from wheel , not from the difference !!!

So i will replace the bearings i will sent also the photos and i could a small video and we talking again

Thanks again men for all and see you soon :-) ;-)

Hey Herrison,

Send me a photo brother man, are you sure you have a maximus and not a chinese maximus copy? You cannot take the bearings of a maximus without opening up the differential. This is the reason I bought Ecotaxi from Maxpro they are so much better designed as you can split the half shaft without touching the diff. and you can take the wheel off in 5 seconds.

Ok lift up the bike and put one hand on top of the wheel and one hand at the bottom of the wheel. Now try and move the wheel backwards and forward. Is their some movement? Where is it coming from? Are any of the spokes loose? Pluck them like a guitar string, they should all sound the same. If you can see anything loose - that is probably where your noise is coming from.

Now spin the wheel, get your head close. Is the disc running perfectly through the brake caliper? Is the brake disc bent? Are the brake pads worn down to the metal? Listen to the bearings. Do they sound noisy?

Show me some good photos and I might be able to see the problem, if not it's the bearing exchange club for you.

Happy mechanics!

Hey Herrison, I got your PM,

I see you definitely have a maximus. Get a circlip tool and a slide hammer. Take out the circlip on the other side and the hub cap. Take the hub cap to a machine shop - every town has a machine shop, they make parts for engines. They will be able to copy the cap in about 5 minutes. They just need a chunk of aluminium, a lathe and a drill. They will have these tools. They will even have slide hammers and maybe circlip pliers if not buy them here http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/circlip-pliers/5417267/

Then order a circlip from here - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/2096621/?tpr=2

Easy Peasy

Thread Information