Thread: New start up needs advice.

Default New start up needs advice.

Hello all,
    New to the forum and would appreciate some feedback. Starting up small tour company out here in Western Australia. Just starting with 1 or 2 units. Looking at a quality build. Looking at 'Main street Broadway', Coaster and 'Maxpro Eco cab'. Pros and cons of each and anything that could help me decide please. Thanks in advance.

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hey bud,

I used to run a pedicab business in Sydney. The economics are great for renting and charging for rides. Perth has been done a few years back by Pedapod. They are out of business now. There are some Maximus bikes flying around Sydney still and a few CC1 cruiser things - big plastic shell jobbies. I really recommend the Maxpro ecotaxi. They are far better than the mainstreets and Coaster cabs are fairly new to the scene but look similar to the mainstreet. Also Maxpro have awesome customer service and can ship parts to you asap. You wont need them though, the bikes are solid. Dont be tempted by a Chinese knock off, it will end in tears.

The mainstreet and coaster have bike wheels - they buckle. The maxpro is built like an ox. It's got moped parts all over her and the frame is just so strong look at the big box section of it compared to the little tubing on the mainstreet. Also the raincovers are much better (not that it rains much in Perth) and it's a little bit lighter (aluminium carriage). It's a solid investment.

Quote Originally Posted by perthgeezer View Post
    Hello all,
    New to the forum and would appreciate some feedback. Starting up small tour company out here in Western Australia. Just starting with 1 or 2 units. Looking at a quality build. Looking at 'Main street Broadway', Coaster and 'Maxpro Eco cab'. Pros and cons of each and anything that could help me decide please. Thanks in advance.
    Many thanks for feedback. Been checking the cost to get it shipped down here.Scary stuff.I have to make my decision in a week or so. Eco taxi looking good. Anyone vouch for the other 2? Maxpro seems more solid but would love some more input.
    Cheers

I don't like eco taxis, they look silly. I did try a friends and it was uncomfortable and I couldn't imagine spending any amount of time on one. I have a Main Street, I ride it like I stole it and have not had any problems. It's the Cadillac of pedicabs IMHO.
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

Thanks again for feedback. I forgot to put the Maximus on my initial list. (Got it confused with the maxpro.) Any word on those guys?
    Cheers

They are the best bikes ever built however they no longer make them - they are difficult to get the wheels on and off and the axles snap after 10 years or so but they are awesome to ride (small front wheel). Maxpro really put them out of business with a very similar product. The frames are pretty much the same and just as strong. Maxpro really though about it - they have removable dropouts for the transfer hub - should anything go wrong the bike is not a write off. They also have 2 sets of mounts for rear brake calipers for the same reason, you can also remove the rear wheels in 30 seconds, they galvanised the axles to limit corrosion, and they have industrial strength rear wheels - who wants to true wheels every week?. The maxpro's were cheaper as they are made in Poland not England; they really figured out how to make the bike better for maintenance and so out sold the Maximus. The only downside is the lack of a battery holder for the lighting system. Ecotaxi really are the best bike available on the market and I've ridden and maintained them all. If you buy the bike, you'll still be renting it out in 10 years time. Make sure you ask for the extra strong wheels and buy their lighting system.

Thanks for the input. What is required for basic day to day, week to week maintenance on them? I'm a little concerned about getting spares so would obviously like to avoid what I can by prevention.

they really figured out how to make the bike better for maintenance and so out sold the Maximus.

So the London market being flooded with cheap Maximus knockoffs from China had nothing to do with it?
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

Nothing. You will need to do nothing to do them for at least 2 years apart from chain lube and tire pressures - if you put tire liners in the rear as well you will never get flat tires. Any parts u may need can be bought from a bike shop - derailleurs, chains - oh I had a handle bar snap but you can get them from a bike shop too.

All of the big fleet owners in London and Paris use them. In Edinburgh they use Maximus because the council has monopolised the bike by only issuing insurance to that design. Check out http://londonrickshaws.co.uk/ he has over 70 ecotaxi's and is the biggest company in London.

The Chinese Maximus knock off's were only around for a year under the BT tower - then the guy realized no one wanted to ride them and he had heaps of repairs and broken frames - he quickly went bust.

Thread Information