Thread: Not sure how to drop electric motor out of the pedi

Default Not sure how to drop electric motor out of the pedi

Hey guys, new here, I'm really hoping I can find some help as it is impossible to find documentation on this random Chinese pedicab I have. I took some pictures of the work I'm doing. The motor seems to be seized to some extent so I wanted to drop it and crack it open. However I'm a little bit stuck now as to what to do next. I took off the wheels, undid the various bolts holding the little manifolds together, but cannot understand how it is anchored in there at this point. Any ideas?

IMG_20161122_190252.jpgIMG_20161122_190255.jpgIMG_20161122_190308.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to evictor For This Useful Post:

TikkiTikki (27-11-2016)

However I'm a little bit stuck now as to what to do next.
    Get a proper western made rickshaw.
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hey Evictor welcome here. That does look like a bit of fun. My guess would be that your shafts are part of a differential inside inside that green/blue area and are held on by circlips. If you undo the copper coloured bolts on the motor body you might get in there but it wouldn't nessecerily drop out - interesting. There could be a clue inside where that chain enters the assembly - is there a bearing with a collar on it are there any grub/set screw on it, if so undo them and hit the collar in the opposite direction to the way the axle normally turns using the other hole on it. Maybe you can see a bolt that goes through the shaft there too. If that's not right, your shafts could be press fitted into the diff in which case it's a large hammer - give the shaft a whack on that collar, like give her, if it doesn't move i'm stumped too! Smashing!

The only other scenario (and shame on the mechanic), is that the shaft case was welded around the shaft last job to make disassembly only possible by grinding that open - it's possible they don't want you working on it so that you buy another one.
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 27-11-2016 at 03:20.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

evictor (27-11-2016)

Thanks, Tikki, I think you're right on the money. I do see a bolt inside where the chain feeds into the motor but it is practically impossible to undo from the little offset opening. I will remove more bolts and hack around and update.

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

No worries. I would love to see a photo of the whole thing - it looks more like a tuk tuk than a pedicab! I was also thinking that it's really rare for the problem to be with the motor - they are pretty much indestructible. Generally the problems are in the dodgy thin wires that they come with the motor, or in the control boxes. Would love to be working on it with you dude.

Tikki

Evictor, it's been a year. Were you able to find out what to do with your Chinese pedicab?

Thread Information