Thread: High Resistance Dynamo Hub for Downhill route

Default High Resistance Dynamo Hub for Downhill route

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good dynamo hub (uses friction and/or magnets in the wheel to recharge a small battery) that I could use on a pedicab route which is all downhill. This should be a unit that applies a higher level of friction, in order to limit speed and save my brake pads on the way down a (gentle) several mile hill. Preferably, this unit would be easily engaged/disengaged on the fly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hi Junkomatic,

The old dynamo from the 80s used to produce friction to generate electricity, the newer style hubs are just reverse style motors and are friction-less.

I always get a little disconcerted when a pedicab operator wants to save brake pads - I don't think i'd want to take a ride in your rig on that hill you mentioned. You know brake pads only cost $10 right! You need some disc brakes my friend, they work in the rain and will last for a good 500-1000km, they have some awesome kevlar pads on the market now too that will last a lot longer. In most N.American cities disc brakes on pedicabs are mandatory for licensing.

This front hub dynamo will charge a battery and comes with a disc brake attachment so you can stop without being thrifty!
    http://www.intelligentdesigncycles.c...ohub-pd-7.html

Only problem with dynamo hubs is they are not built for the weight that a pedicab will put on them through the turns.....why bother - buy yourself a 12V 12aH sealed lead acid battery - they use them in fire alarm systems, and some LED lights like these ones here and a 12v lead acid battery charger and run some wire between your new purchases. I use a similar setup and my batteries last about 3 weeks between charges with about 25 hour a week usage i've also wired up indicators for each bike.

Good luck on those hills dude, and don't ruin the industry for the rest of us please.

Thread Information