Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London City Bike information

Default London City Bike information

Hi everyone

new to this and am looking at buying 5 units. I need a unit that has a large advertising space on it, as it is going to be part of my license agreement with the town hall, I have been looking at the london city bike and it is perfect looking for what my needs are, but not sure of the quality build on them, any info would be great as I cant seem to find much other than what was posted years ago on this site and another, which was very minimal. I was also looking at http://www.ecobici.es/ at the trixi pedicab, which would also work for me, but after reading for quiet a while on this forum, there is so much to the build of these vehicles that i did not realise could cause so much problems.

any help or info would be great.

thanks
    santan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to santan For This Useful Post:

TikkiTikki (14-07-2017)

Sydney, Auckland, London, Gothenberg, Vancouver

Hi Santan,

Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a bit of fun. Where will you be operating? I am guessing England as you have spelt realise with an s? But then again I don't know anywhere in England where the town hall is giving out licenses. Ummm very interesting.

Anyways - people who get into pedicabbing, or look at the business from afar, think that they can make their fortune selling advertising on the back of the things. This rarely happens. Saying that, one or two people have made a few quid from it. The reality of advertising, is that those who can afford to advertise on the cabs (ie the amount of money you will need to sustain yourself and your cat -1 or 2 campaigns a year) generally advertise through an advertising agency. You will need to convince them to give you your supper, most of them understand that they get a far greater ROI with digital marketing. Traditional outdoor advertising is therefore the reserve of the super brand. I had Lululemon, U2 and Pepsi on mine last year, it came from their end, and not mine. The irony is you need to master digital advertising to get your pedicab website noticed....why did you think I am answering your question?

A much more sustainable way to make money with your pedicabs, is to use them as a late-night taxi service in an entertainment district, at events, festivals, or for tours at busy transportation hubs in sunny climates. You rent them out to some total schleps, who will crash them into walls, vomit all over them, and put their cigarettes out on the frames. For this you will need a very well made frame. Please read my article here on which pedicab should you buy, should you wish to remain in the business for more than 11 days or so.

I think you mean the Ecotaxi when you refer to the 'London city bike' right? The big plastic egg thing is called a Velotaxi CityCruiser and the company you link to above has imported and is selling a Chinese made copy of both of these designs. Their products are made out of caramel and toffee - I am being deadly serious. The Spanish company offering them for sale has imported them from China for about $1000usd landed. My Spanish aint that good, but when it says 'Fabricacion 100% Ecobici.es', I don't believe them. You could cut out these twats, and buy your own from alibaba.com. The Spanish company also has pictures of the English built Cycles Maximus pedicab on their site. You will not be getting the Maximus bike, you will be getting a dog turd.

Hope you are the one who makes a few quid, you must be a master bike mechanic right?

When you're a peddicabber, people always come up to you, time and time again, and ask the same questions and offer the same advice. My friend and I always joke with each other, raise one finger to the sky and say "You know what you should do.......". You'll see why when you're out there.

What are your thoughts on pedicab advertising Santan?

Russ
    Last edited by TikkiTikki; 14-07-2017 at 20:48. Reason: add some more smart-arse remarks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

santan (17-07-2017)

Hi Tikki Tikki,

thanks a lot for the reply, I will make sure I read your piece on which pedicab to buy, thanks for that. I will be based in the Canary Islands, where the police have a lot of control over what way I will be allowed to operate, hence the need for a large advertising space, as it is a loop hole for me to be granted a licence. There is a law in my area which prohibits bill boards or advertising of any real sort without police permission through the local council, and I have to try to have a large enough space to advertise on, (I know it might sound crazy but believe me Im only giving one tiny example of the hoops Im jumping through to get this far). The area that I will be using is very flat apart from one or two zones, but is all mainly a purpose built cycle path. I am looking to do tours on this area, which covers approx 15km from start to finish, and I wanted to have different stops and pick up locations during the route, or different zones for the drivers to work from. It will be mainly a day time activity, using the marinas and beaches as feeders for the pedicabs. The London cithy bike model I was looking at is this one http://www.londoncitybike.co.uk/. I am drawn to the size of space for advertising, as I need to fulfill this requirement of giving free advertising space to the local council, but also need to be able to put my own paid for advertising on the units, and the council want their adverts to be a particular size. I believe there is companies that will take up the offer to be able to advertise on the units as there is no fixed advertising allowed so it is an opportunity as for example we all use the advertising spaces on the local buses when they come up for tender. I 100% understand where you are coming from when you talk about people coming up to you and telling you how you should run your business, and they all think they are right, I listen to a lot of that myself, so this is why Im trying to get as much info as possible before I commit myself to anything, I do have a full time mechanic ready, but can you tell me, do you suffer from many problems with the structure of the frame or what problems would you commonly come up against.

thanks so much again for the replies its much appreciated

santan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to santan For This Useful Post:

TikkiTikki (15-07-2017)

Good on you Santan,

We have similar advertising restrictions here in Van City.

Those london city bikes are the same turds from China but with a plastic cover on the back. I honestly can't stress enough that they will crack, bend and cause you a headache. The price point is exciting for entry though and I get that.

I started with a few of them and it took a lot of welding and replacing parts to get them even rideable. They still squeaked a lot!

Have you seen the Ecopromo by Maxpro or the Cyclopolitan french thing. The smart money is on the Ecopromo as the rider is high up and out of the way of louts and nobs. You're gonna wanna run it at night for the bar crowd too dude.

I have no problems with the Ecotaxis. I go weeks and weeks without maintenance. Sometimes a derailleur gets snapped off on a curb. I never get flats on the front, and I have added a Mr.Tuffy 2X strip in the rear wheels and now I run 1 flat every 3 months. Apart from that, I had one roll down a hill and get smashed up but they are solid as brick outhouses.

Write an email to Maxpro - tell Andrew that Russell from Tikki Tikki told you about them and he might give you a bit of a discount. I promise you will be in business in 20 years time with his bikes. Don't waste 5K on Chinese crap man. You will be looking to buy new ones after a year, and it will be easy to put you out of business with a better bike. I see so many up for sale on craigslist and gumtree, I feel sorry for the guys who buy them.

Good luck with it man, wish I was there to help you set it up.

Feel free to come back with questions and advice for the rest of us - go get em tiger!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

Calicygal (18-07-2017), santan (19-07-2017)

Hi Tikki Tikki,

thanks a lot for the reply, I will make sure I read your piece on which pedicab to buy, thanks for that. I will be based in the Canary Islands, where the police have a lot of control over what way I will be allowed to operate, hence the need for a large advertising space, as it is a loop hole for me to be granted a licence. There is a law in my area which prohibits bill boards or advertising of any real sort without police permission through the local council, and I have to try to have a large enough space to advertise on, (I know it might sound crazy but believe me Im only giving one tiny example of the hoops Im jumping through to get this far). The area that I will be using is very flat apart from one or two zones, but is all mainly a purpose built cycle path. I am looking to do tours on this area, which covers approx 15km from start to finish, and I wanted to have different stops and pick up locations during the route, or different zones for the drivers to work from. It will be mainly a day time activity, using the marinas and beaches as feeders for the pedicabs. The London cithy bike model I was looking at is this one http://www.londoncitybike.co.uk/. I am drawn to the size of space for advertising, as I need to fulfill this requirement of giving free advertising space to the local council, but also need to be able to put my own paid for advertising on the units, and the council want their adverts to be a particular size. I believe there is companies that will take up the offer to be able to advertise on the units as there is no fixed advertising allowed so it is an opportunity as for example we all use the advertising spaces on the local buses when they come up for tender. I 100% understand where you are coming from when you talk about people coming up to you and telling you how you should run your business, and they all think they are right, I listen to a lot of that myself, so this is why Im trying to get as much info as possible before I commit myself to anything, I do have a full time mechanic ready, but can you tell me, do you suffer from many problems with the structure of the frame or what problems would you commonly come up against.

thanks so much again for the replies its much appreciated

santan

London City Bikes operated a fleet of 15 to 20 bikes in London back in 07/08 and before. Dude packed it in when the OB came down on the gimp hubs in the fall of 08. The bikes looked nothing like eco cabs.
    Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
    I've seen more than I can recall.
    J. Buffett

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cycle_pathic_maniac For This Useful Post:

santan (17-07-2017)

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I had posted here over the weekend but none of my posts have come up, along with pms, not sure what happened. Anyway here is the gist of what I said,

I am trying to open in the Canary Islands. Unlike every where else the police here have a lot of power and without some form of licence I will be shut down in an instant. This is why I have been going through the town hall, and where it gets complicated. They want to be able to advertise their own things on my units but so do I and they have given me a minimum amount of space that they want, hence the need for me to have a larger space, so I can fit in my own ads. There is no fixed advertising allowed where I am, so this is one of the reasons I really wanted to be able to go to other companies and offer this service, as I feel there is a need for it on a holiday resort for aqua parks and other attractions want to hit their target market i.e tourists. I want to operate along a cycle path that is purpose built covering approx 15km, maybe more along the coast, and to be able to offer a tour service for people. I dont think I will be able to use normal roads as I found out today that the taxi ass will be up in arms so I think for the first while I will just stick to the cycle lanes. Also there is a lot of tourists during the night that I think will avail of the service. What I really wanted to know and to get advice from people with experiecnce is what are the main problems that can happen with the units, I will have a full time mechanic but I know there will be no parts to be able to buy here. The london city bikes i had looked at (for Tikki Tikki) was this http://www.londoncitybike.co.uk/, and I had spoken to them within the past 12 months, so Im now not sure from what the last post said that they are gone, as I have quotes from them for buying units and they wanted me to come to London to view the bikes, but not sure if that is legit now. I also wanted to know if these units are basically crap or not, as the advertising space looks perfect for me, but thats no good if they fall to bits after 1 month.

I hope this reply gets posted up for you to see.

thanks again
    Last edited by santan; 17-07-2017 at 14:51.

Ya they are just the Chinese bikes with plastic on the back. Can't stress it enough man - Ecopromo Maxpro.....you'll be doing it in 20 years time too. I think there is a problem with the forum as new users are struggling to post threads. I think Gerald is on it (Trixi the administrator).

I read your advice on buying the right pedicab and that is the one that caught my eye now, the only thing is there is no motor and I dont think I want to go too much over budget getting one fitted unless of course the price is right. The area that I will be using is for the most part quite flat, with only a few minor hills in between. Is there anything that you would say is a common fault with the maxpro bikes. As im now getting nearer to getting the go ahead, Im now thinking of all the problems, or should I say, now more focused on them, my number one problem that I think I will face is trying to rent them to drivers here. Is that a common problem that you as providers face on a weekly basis or is that fact that the population is so much greater that its not a concern.

regards
    santan

The only real problem with the bike is that the derailleur hangs a little low and can snap on curbs. This is similar to all pedicabs though. Also sometimes you get cheap handlebars and pedals when you buy them new - really cheap to put right. The bike is the most solid thing i've ridden, and i've ridden them all!

You can get a 15ah 48v LiFePo4 (not Li-ion lasts 3x less only 500 charges) battery from Alibaba for $350USD and a 48v 500W motor from the same place for $150USD - it would roll all day then after you've worked out how to wire the thing up, but the fun of a pedicab is that it's a pedicab. Riders honestly make more money pedalling. People know when you are cheating!!! If it's flat man, let them pedal. Vancouver is as hilly as the 7 hills of Rome, and my riders love it.

Drivers are easy to find. You find one, and they tell their friends. Mine stick around an average of 18 months. It depends how you treat them. A flat rate is always a winner, and being lenient when they don't do well, keeps them coming back. You will be looking for the 18-35 year old who is a free thinker (got fired from Starbucks), and hasen't yet master the concept of deodorant (soap-dodger), they normally hang around backpackers and youth hostels. Fill a fridge with cheap beer (the kind of stuff you wouldn't put in your lawnmower), snacks, deodorant, and cigs for when they finish (vending machine works well), free pizza shifts, hook them up with free food at restaurants, and free drinks in bars, in return for customers, and throw the occasional bbq where you hand out rider awards - 'Best Driver 2017', 'Best hustler', 'Most likely to succeed after this', 'Most likely to die of alcohol poisoning' - oh and employ some female riders!!!!

I have become emotionally detached from my bikes. It took a few years but now I can bare the scratches, dents and pings.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TikkiTikki For This Useful Post:

Calicygal (18-07-2017), santan (18-07-2017)

Thread Information