View Poll Results: What is in your opinion the right word?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pedicab

15 36.59%
  • Rickshaw

10 24.39%
  • Pedicab and Rickshaw means the same.

7 17.07%
  • Another words fits better (example bike taxi etc.)

6 14.63%
  • For me this question is not important.

3 7.32%

Thread: Rickshaw or Pedicab?

Default Rickshaw or Pedicab?

Rickshaws (or rickshas) are a mode of human-powered transport: a runner draws a two-wheeled cart which seats one or two persons. Rickshaws were mainly used in Asia, but nowadays they are outlawed in many places and have been replaced by cycle rickshaws and auto rickshaws (and the term "rickshaw" is today commonly used for these vehicles as well).

The jinrikisha was invented by Mr.Jonathan Goble, an American missionary
    in Yokohama (Japan), in 1871. The rickshaw later metamorphosed into the cycle-rickshaw.

Most people worldwide are searching Google for "Rickshaw" when searching for a pedicab. Just check Overture and Wordtracker ;-)

To give you some stats:

At Wordtracker only 3450 people in the USA are searching the word PEDICAB / PEDICABS monthly. But 17.000 the word Rickshaw / Rickshaws.
    To tell you the truth: I was surprised. I thought that the word "pedicab" would be much stronger.

Encarta says:

rickshaw

rick·shaw (plural rick·shaws) or rick·sha (plural rick·shas)

noun
    1. two-wheeled passenger vehicle: a small vehicle with two wheels and a seat for passengers, pulled along by somebody walking in front of it, used especially in Asia.
    Also called jinriksha

2. three-wheeled passenger vehicle: a small three-wheeled vehicle, like a tricycle with a seat at the back for passengers, that is driven by somebody sitting at the front and pedalling.
    Also called trishaw

[Late 19th century. Shortening of Japanese jinrikisha , from jin “man” + riki “strength” + sha “vehicle.”]

There are a lot of words for the rickshaw / pedicab

Few I know:

Rickshaw
    Pedicab
    Trishaw
    Cycle Rickshaw
    Tricycle
    Trike
    Velocipede
    Velotaxi (in my opinion the most fancy pedicab)
    Biketaxi
    Bicitaxi (Spanish)
    Fahrradrikscha (German)
    Bike Rickshaw

Tell us, which synonyms you know for this kind of vehicle and give us your opinion in the poll and feel free to post in this thread your "own definition" of a pedicab / rickshaw!

Saludos

Gerald
    Last edited by Trixi.com; 16-01-2005 at 01:42.
    Saludos

Gerald
    Admin www.PedicabForum.com

Our company site:
    www.trixi.com

Other web sites:
    www.Bicicleta.es

fietser.be Guest

I think the word "pedicab" is a nice word to use international. "Rikshaw" is for me linked to the Azian style pedicabs.
    Locally, we use the word "taxifiets" or "fietstaxi". That word means that the people who are using it are in search of an ecological way of transportation. When people use the word "rikshaw", they want a bike out of Azia, for it's style, and if possible driven by an azian boy...

Cool Avoiding the uncomfortable truth

Everyone seems to some extent about rickshaws, including its etymology. What of pedicabs? Where did the word come from? Who thought it up? It seems a sad compromise of a word for such a dynamic phenomenon. Until someone proves that pedicab doesn't simply break down to "foot cab", then I'll prefer rickshaw or cycle rickshaw, which is more demonstrative of what we do. Even cycle taxi more descriptive, I reckon . . .

Gregg
    NYC

rickshaw92 Guest

I call my cart a rickshaw, on a bad day like today I call it a damn rickshaw

rickshaw92 Guest

And what about Cyclos?

Default It's all the same!

So technically, pedicab means "foot cab". On the same note, a rickshaw is pulled by a runner, not a cyclist. So really they should either be a "bicycle rickshaw" or a "pedal-powered taxi cab". But in the end who cares? Can't we all just get along?

Wink Over It

Rickshaw literally means "strength vehicle". Trixi lists the etymology of the word further down on this thread: It's not "technical", it is factual. And this discussion was put to rest months ago--and we've been getting along just peachy ever since.

FWIW, I have noted repeatedly that "cycle rickshaw" may be most appropriate and that "pedicab" is okay, too. "Cycle taxi" seems to work well, and your "pedal-powered taxi cab" seems to make the cut, too. "Pedal cab" was another offering that "technically" is spot on, as well. (N.B.: I drive a giant tricycle, so "bicycle" with any noun does not work in my and many other situations; I don't know, however, what you drive . . .)

Just remember to pass the pipe, and we'll all be happy . . .

Default Make the distinction

Once Shanghai Rickshaw starts up with our authentic Hand Pulled Rickshaws
    in June 2005 people will need to make the distinction.
    The "Rickshaw" originally designed as a 2 wheeled vehicle, slowly evolved into a 3 wheel, bicycle propelled vehicle for greater efficiency. The word Rickshaw does not accurately describe a Pedicab. The newer modern day, generic term "Pedicab" ( petite cab bicycle) is incredibly appropriate.
    Customers will become confused when they ask for a Rickshaw rental and
    a Pedicab shows up.
    The reason why more people do searches for Rickshaw is that the word Rickshaw is over 130 years old. Pedicab is a new word perhaps started
    by Tipke or Main Street 20 some years ago.
    Change your names now, confusion will set in in the next 2 years.

As a point. Even though Rickshaws are not as efficient a mode of transport
    as a Pedicab, the pure novelty of them will still effect ridership.

www.shanghairickshaw.com

Thread Information