Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advise against buying any CyclesMaximus

Default advise against buying any CyclesMaximus

Hello,

I think the complete rear axle construction is problematic
    as it is unnecessarily complicated to change wheels, brakes etc.
    It took a skilled person a complete day to replace a broken axle and
    did cost me a fortune.
    The axles in the new pedicab-models seem to have been faultily
    produced.
    The two in Berlin which were manufactured at the same time, broke
    in a difference of two weeks at exactly the same axle location: near right wheel at
    a suture line where a reinforcement tube had been added.
    As the Oslo ones where delivered around that time also, would be
    interesting to hear from there.

The servicing reaction of the CyclesMaximus people was unfortunately
    proving very, very poor at several occasions.

If you need additional information please contact me

ulfhaeger@web.de

Default Axles

The first time you replace an axle, it does take a bit of doing--like many things, really. The second time, if it's necessary, will take far less time.

The axles on my fleet from last year are holding up fairly well, I suppose. I reckon I've replaced five half-axles over 15 months in my fleet of 17 pedicabs; all were simply bent--none broke. Unsure if that's poor or solid performance relative to other fleets. New York is a brutal town for pedicabs, as potholes and other brutal conditions are ubiquitous.

Anyone else have experience with axle damage and replacement levels in fleets or otherwise?

Does Maximus even manufacture the axles? I believe it's outsourced. Main Street uses the same manufacturer, as far as I know.

Cheers.

Gregg
    NY

Default No Axle Problems on my Fleet

Don't have any problems with my Mainstreet Axles, They are very strong! Not difficult to change.

I'm very confused about something???

Cycles Maxumius gets their axles from the same place as Main Street??? What are you saying?

So where are CM's axles made?

In a different post you imply a difference about quality and where they are made.

I don't think they are the same axles.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm!

Please explain yourself.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg; 25-10-2006 at 20:00.

Smile Change the subject much?

A few components are shared by these two fine companies, Main Street and Cycles Maximus; the axles as well as, for instance, the differentials are sourced from the same outfits. Peerless makes a fine differential, and both companes wisely use their product.

It's the rest of the trikes where the differences are so apparent.

Again, contact REAL COMPANIES ON THE STREET. I make no claims that I cannot substantiate. I only state facts. That's why I suggest contacting REAL OPERATING COMPANIES to businesses readying to invest REAL MONEY in this business. Don't be fooled by prevaricators, clever marketers, or pricing slight-of-hands. Do yourselves right, do the research, and choose wisely.

Cycles Maximus (cyclesmaximus.com)
    Main Street Pedicabs (pedicab.com)

Each manufacturer will provide references. Then, I suggest investors do a bit of their own research and talk to companies that neither company tells you to talk to and get the real story.

The notion that Mainstreet axles somehow don't bend or brake, by the way, defies reality. Contact companies in New York that operate TIPKEs, Charlestons, Main Streets, Cycles Maximi, Cyclestone, and other makes, and ask them how many axles they've seen fail over the years. I've seen broken frames, axles, fibreglass bodies, wheels . . . you name it, I've seen it in NY on all makes and models.

Contact me for info on contact points for companies operating both Cycles Maximus and Main Street--even companies that have operated both.

Best,

Gregg
    NY
    Last edited by MrRevolution; 28-10-2006 at 03:36. Reason: Poor Form

Default Please provide the Names of the fleets

That would be great let me know who they are I would love to talk to them.

Greg

Default I stopped by the Factory

I talked to all the Main Street welders (who make the frames) and none of them are Chinese

Greg

Default Is there something wrong with products from China?

There is no parts made in China on the CM?

There are some great parts and products made in China? Everyone uses stuff made overseas. Is that a problem? Just stand by what you get and make it right if there is a problem.

I bet the computer you are using is made in China.

Bikeparts is one of the components that we all use, check where Shimano is made and the list of many many others common on every bike.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg; 26-10-2006 at 03:31.

Thumbs up Bugbugs

For investors who are keen to learn more about each make on the road and their "roadworthiness" year after year after year, I strongly suggest getting in contact with Neil at Bugbugs. That company has operated for over five years and utilized at one point or another major pedicab makes including Main Street, Cycles Maximus, Velocab, and may be even TIPKE?
    Bugbugs.co.uk

In New York, indy trike technician Chris Strungis has worked on every major pedicab make available in the United States for over five years. He started with legendary operator George Bliss of PONYcabs--the original NY operator. He's worked freelance with Rickshaw Andy and Revolution Rickshaws and other operators of late. He works on TIPKES, Charlestons, Cyclestones, Main Streets, Cycles Maximus, and anyting else that shows up here on the road. He can be reached at 212.239.3491 on most days.
    Many cities have limited exposure to certain makes and models. NYC and London, however, have it all. Talk to operators in these cities, I humbly suggest, to get the real low down on what's available out there from manufacturers.

5 years isn't anything. I have a few 10 year old Mainstreets They still have their original hollow axels. They are one hell of a work bike. The main thing with axels is the frame they are built on. The Mainstreet frame is engineered not just welded together so that the frame doesn't flex thus they don't break axels.

Smile mmm

I guess you don't operate in New York.

I don't operate outside New York, so my experience is broken and bent axles everywhere on every make from time to time.

Again, I suggest you contact fleet owners in New York who operate TIPKEs, Main Streets, Charlestons, Cycles Maximi, Cyclestones, et cetera to get a ground-level view of challenges here.

We have 35 year old TIPKEs still operating well here in New York. I'm sure a few of them still have the original axles. I used to drive on one of them!

Not really sure what your point was. Main Streets are not weak by any means.

I continue to advocate investors contacting fleet owners operating in what I believe are the harshest pedicab conditions in the United States (that is, New York City) if investors want to capture a proper picture of durability of each make. Rickshaw Forum has a fine selection in its roster from which to choose.

Best,

Gregg
    NYC

P.S. New York Rickshaw and Rickshaw Andy, for example, operate TIPKEs, along with many indies here. MR Rickshaw and Manhattan Rickshaw operate Main Streets. City Pedicab operates Charlestons. Revolution Rickshaws operates Cycles Maximus, along with a number of indies. Cyclestone operates . . . Cyclestones . . . and even a couple of Paradise (aka Kabuki) Pedicabs pop up from time to time--my mechanic is about to get one back on the street, in fact! Nothing like hard data from operators in harsh conditions.
    Last edited by MrRevolution; 30-10-2006 at 22:19.

Thread Information